Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is my boat acting right at speed ?

1968Droptop
    I recently installed a ride plate from SquirtinThunder, and a droop snoot. In it's current state the boat does 75 at 5200 (basically stock 460). At that speed it kind of rocked left, right, left, right, etc. quickly. This rocking was VERY slight and no steering inputs were needed to keep it perfectly straight. The water was some what flat at the time, with maybe a slight head wind. My diverter was almost all the way up as well. Is this what my hull should do, or is this something to be concerned about ?
    It didn't do this before, but I don't think I was seeing 75 before adding the rideplate and droop. I'm still pretty green to what my hull should feel like at speed and don't want anything terrible to happen.
    Here's a pix of the back if that helps.....http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...Ride_plate.JPG

GunninGopher
    Is that engine stock or are you doing 75. I'd be shocked if it were both. And the diverter was full up?

1968Droptop
    Is that engine stock or are you doing 75. I'd be shocked if it were both. And the diverter was full up?
    Basically stock: 750 vacuum secondary with the quick opening spring, dual plane intake, MSD, recurved dist., and open Bassett's. I don't know what cam is in it, but it has the typical jet boat rumpa rumpa rumpa idle at 700-800 rpm's.
    A friend was pacing me on my right with a hand held GPS. I know it's not a perfect way, and I know the hand helds are not 100 accurate, but it must be somewhat close ???
    The diverter was one notch away from being all the way up.

What has happened is by adding the ride plate and droop, you have decreased the leverage the diverter can apply to lift the bow. The good news is it sounds like you are well aired out. The rocking back and forth is just "walking" and another symptom of lifting the hull out of the water at speed. If it bothers you, you could probably bring it down by dropping the ride plate and/or wedging the droop. The bad news is you have now entered the "tinkering" zone and will forever be dicking with your setup trying to beat the last speed. Repeat after me... I having a boating problem.....

1968Droptop
    What has happened is by adding the ride plate and droop, you have decreased the leverage the diverter can apply to lift the bow. The good news is it sounds like you are well aired out. The rocking back and forth is just "walking" and another symptom of lifting the hull out of the water at speed. If it bothers you, you could probably bring it down by dropping the ride plate and/or wedging the droop. The bad news is you have now entered the "tinkering" zone and will forever be dicking with your setup trying to beat the last speed. Repeat after me... I having a boating problem.....
    I having a boating problem, I having a boating problem, I having a boating problem...LOL. The rocking got my attention at first, but it wasn't scary, it just hadn't done that before. If the hull is well aired out, then I'm ass-u-ming that means more speed ? I'm not in any grave danger of it doing something I don't want it to do ? Does that GPS number sound way off to you ?
    Hows the arm ? Did you get my message ? I sure hope all is well on your end.

Captain Assin' Off
    Are YOU acting right at speed? Do you have a goofy assed grin? Is the wind making your nose run, and eyes water, forming a vee shaped mixture of tears and snot, that eventually fills both ears? Do you have that oh so familiar tightening of the sphincter, maybe actually forcing your ass to take a big chomp out of your seat? Do you have a fearful look in your eyes after the run, are your legs charlied up, and do your arms ache? Are you out of gas? Are your friends in a state of awe and disbelief after the run, was it video taped for posterities sake? If you answer yes to most of those, you are acting properly...as for the boat, well...um...I don't know.... :crossx:

malcolm
    What Matt said!!! :rollside: :boxed:

I having a boating problem, I having a boating problem, I having a boating problem...LOL. The rocking got my attention at first, but it wasn't scary, it just hadn't done that before. If the hull is well aired out, then I'm ass-u-ming that means more speed ? I'm not in any grave danger of it doing something I don't want it to do ? Does that GPS number sound way off to you ?
    Hows the arm ? Did you get my message ? I sure hope all is well on your end.
    The arm's still attached, but the the doc wants to wait another week before replacing the cast and pulling stitches. Got the message... sorry, I haven't been able to do squat for weeks. You found another alternative for the dyno runs? If not, I'm at a point where I can get the headers back there.
    Speedwise, my gut says you're not quite at 75, but what do I know, I only run 71! If you get the time, give me a call anytime during the day.... I have plenty of time on my hands until June 12th.

Cas
    you're also in the zone where I hope you're wearing a real good life jacket

IMPATIENT 1
    MY NAMES THOMAS AND I HAVE A BOATING PROBLEM TOO.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast