Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ace Champion vibe

BobbyB
    I've had my Spectra20 V-drive for a little over a year now, but I am still pretty green, so bear with me:
    I started getting a rhythmic vibe from the V-drive while I was out this week. I noticed it when I first got out, so I let her warm up real good, and proceeded on. The vibe was not as noticeable, but still there. I went down to the bluewater area, and as I was headed back up, i hit a reed patch. I noticed a change in rpm/speed ratio immediately. I stop the boat, and then backed up a bit. I saw a clump of grass/reeds floating up next to the boat, so I figured problem solved. It got better, but never seemed to be right after that. It wasn't "bad", but it wasn't as smooth as before either. I cruised back to camp, and then I tried to check the rudder/prop for any debris. Couldn't find anything noticable, but I figured I'd see more when I pulled her out. The next morning when I pulled it out, I couldn't see anything, and the shaft felt solid. I tried to check the oil in the V-drive, and from what I could see, it looked OK. Any thoughts? Does this sound familiar?

BobbyB
    any advice

Sangerboy
    Give everyone a day or two, not a lot of action on a holiday weekend. I would first check the strut bearings for wear. That can cause a vibration that you didn't have before.

VD CRUISER
    Have you tried running it long enough on the trailer to look at the prop/shaft to see if it wobbles on the end. Also make sure the prop is tight on the shaft, and all the coupling bolts are tight. Can you look at the shaft right behind the V-drive to see if it is running true ?

BobbyB
    Give everyone a day or two, not a lot of action on a holiday weekend.
    Good point, thanks.
    I will check the bearings and see I can find anything.

BobbyB
    Have you tried running it long enough on the trailer to look at the prop/shaft to see if it wobbles on the end. ?
    Is it okay to run it on the trailer?
    I have been a little gun shy after I ran my jet pump boat on the trailer and found out after that it wasn't the best thing for the packing and wear ring.
    I will check the prop tightness and coupling bolts (I never thought of that, thanks).
    I can see the shaft right behind the v-drive; I'll run it and see.

ColeTR2
    Is it okay to run it on the trailer?
    I will check the prop tightness and coupling bolts (I never thought of that, thanks).
    I wouldn't run it on the trailer in gear it will smoke the strut bushings in seconds. I think you just need new strut bushings. Grab the prop and push it side to side / up and down to check. I replace mine evey year. Also make sure the rudder has grease in it. Next check the prop shaft for straightness. Once when I was putting my boat on the trailer the prop shaft came down on the top of the fender when some big waves came in. It doesn't take much to bend it.

BobbyB
    I wouldn't run it on the trailer in gear it will smoke the strut bushings in seconds. I think you just need new strut bushings. Grab the prop and push it side to side / up and down to check. I replace mine evey year. Also make sure the rudder has grease in it. Next check the prop shaft for straightness. Once when I was putting my boat on the trailer the prop shaft came down on the top of the fender when some big waves came in. It doesn't take much to bend it.
    10-4
    My prop does turn just a little when it's in neutral. It squeals a bit when I run it outta the water.

VD CRUISER
    It won't hurt to run it long enough, at idle, to see if the shaft wobbles,( 20 or 30 seconds). If necessary, you can squirt some water on the bushing, otherwise you can take the shaft out and have a machine shop check for you .

BobbyB
    It won't hurt to run it long enough, at idle, to see if the shaft wobbles,( 20 or 30 seconds). If necessary, you can squirt some water on the bushing, otherwise you can take the shaft out and have a machine shop check for you .
    right on, I'll have a water bottle handy when I check it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast