Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 496 Mag Alarm

SUPERDUTYRHINO
    Question; my boat just turned 20 hours and the audible alarm went off. Like the mechanic I am; checked all the fluids, found nothing out of the ordinary, un-plugged the alarm and went on with my boating. Later I plugged the alarm back in and it didn't alarm (beep) any longer. Any ideas?

voodoomedman
    Question; my boat just turned 20 hours and the audible alarm went off. Like the mechanic I am; checked all the fluids, found nothing out of the ordinary, un-plugged the alarm and went on with my boating. Later I plugged the alarm back in and it didn't alarm (beep) any longer. Any ideas?
    What was going on at the time. The Merc motors pretty much protect themselves when you hear that alarm. The alarm tells you that there is something wrong but at the same time it protects itself as much as possible. Were you at full throttle? You may have been overrevving the engine. The Mag only goes to 4800 rpm. After that it will give you the alarm but it won't hurt itself.

SUPERDUTYRHINO
    We were on the water for 8 hours Saturday and no problems. Sunday morning when I launched at 0530 the alarm went off, I checked the guages, everything looked fine and shut the motor off. I lifted the hatch and checked all the fluids, wiring ect... Everything looked ok, started it back up and the same thing; alarm. After a ride around the Island (keeping a careful eye on the guages) I plugged the alarm wire back in and no alarm? I was wondering if it was a twenty hour service alarm?

voodoomedman
    We were on the water for 8 hours Saturday and no problems. Sunday morning when I launched at 0530 the alarm went off, I checked the guages, everything looked fine and shut the motor off. I lifted the hatch and checked all the fluids, wiring ect... Everything looked ok, started it back up and the same thing; alarm. After a ride around the Island (keeping a careful eye on the guages) I plugged the alarm wire back in and no alarm? I was wondering if it was a twenty hour service alarm?
    No there is no alarm telling you when to get serviced. Hopefully somebody else will chime in who has more knowledge. I don't know why the alarm was going off for you. Maybe find yourself a trusted mechanic who will answer these questions for you. If something goes wrong with mine I will call from the water. I get scared if something is wrong. Not only is it a pain in the a$$ but it can be super expensive.

Focker
    sometimes your fluids are low enough that when the boat bounces the alarm will go off. you stop the boat and check the fluids and they appear adequate.

SUPERDUTYRHINO
    The first thing I thought was that it was the fluid levels, from being on the boat ramp but the alarm even sounded at the dock. I'll make an appointment with ALCO and let them check it out. Thanks for the suggestions and ideas!
    Tim

voodoomedman
    The first thing I thought was that it was the fluid levels, from being on the boat ramp but the alarm even sounded at the dock. I'll make an appointment with ALCO and let them check it out. Thanks for the suggestions and ideas!
    Tim
    No problem. Never heard a bad thing about ALCO. But if you can't get in then I would highly reccomend Absolute Speed & Marine.

Marty Gras
    "Like the mechanic I am; checked all the fluids..... unplugged the alarm" What kind of "mechanic" are you???? (space shuttle tuner upper?) Your motor has a MINIMUM WATER PRESSURE ALARM!!! Why don't YOU read your Mercury Marine Owners Manual ??? Who in the hell disconnects an alarm, especially when it is sounding off??? This is just a joke, right??? No legally procreating person would actually do the bonehead actions that have been outlined in these posts! Would you disregard your oil pressure gauge if it showed no pressure??? F()king idiot!!!

SUPERDUTYRHINO
    Thanks for the reply Marti Gras, actually I was told by a certfied Mercruser Mechanic to try that (unplugging and plugging back in) the alarm. Sounds like your familiar with the low water pressure alarm feature, are you also aware of the problems Mercury has been having with a (run/allotment) of low water pressure sending units? In short, in the future just ignore my threads, I don't appreciate your comments or language. Thanks.

phebus
    SUPERDUTYRHINO, I used Alco for a warranty issue on my boat (Absolute wasn't Merc certified at that time), and Bart was awesome. He knows his stuff, and went out of his way to resolve all issues. I highly reccomend Alco.
    Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast