Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New stringer holes, have a question for you.

daddy b
    The motor is finally ready to set into the 68 Hondo(my first v drive!!), however, I put in longer polished motor rails and drilled more holes in the stringer.
    I know you are suppose to resin these things to keep out water, and then the white marine silicone but what is the trick to keeping them water tight................ this is the only thing keeping me from installing motor.............I need to do something quick or they may get nothing??!!!!
    This 2 year project is getting close to finish, ahhhhhh chrome and polished and retro. OLD SCHooooooL 700 HP
    daddy b :rollside: :rollside:

ColeTR2
    Put a wood dowel in the hole first, then cut up some mesh fiberglass to cover the opening to make it water tight

daddy b
    These holes are the new ones for the stringer bolts, do you guys just use silicone when you put the bolts in. sorry tr-2, I knew I was having problems thinking this morning. Thanks daddy b :idea:

Lefty
    When ever I plugged hole holes I would use dowels with wood glue and then resin and cloth. Sorry about not reading the last post quicker, I always put a little silicone on the backside of my washers.

daddy b
    In order now, I drill the holes, squirt silicone around the bolts, push bolt through stringer and plate, put a little silicone on inside of washer, tighten, walah.........................does this sound right????? maybe I'm too concerned over water leaks but the stringers seem to always go bad around the bolt.
    Sorry guys, the old holes are going to be sealed with dowels, etc.

flat broke
    If it were me, I'd swab down the inside of your new holes with resin. You'll need to apply multiple coats as they dry because the wood will soak it up. Once the i.d. of the new holes is totally sealed with resin, then you can do the install with the silicone as you described before. It may sound excessive, but water just seems to have a way of finding the spot that didn't seal that you couldnt see. Resining the inside of the holes will give you a little extra protection.
    my .02
    Chris

stickmann
    I've used marine epoxy with micro-balloons and hardwood dowels to fill the old holes. As long as you roughen up the old holes, it sticks great.
    I always used 3M 5200 Marine Bedding Sealant to waterproof and for bedding stringer washers.
    It does not fail.

GofastRacer
    Holy shit don't use silicone the bolts will never be tight, they will move around in the silicone and eventually egg out the hole, been there done that!.. If you drill the holes the same size as the bolt, they will not slide in you'll have to tap them in and that will seal them plenty good, and when you tighten the bolts the brackets and backing plate will help seal it also!..

daddy b
    Holy shit don't use silicone the bolts will never be tight, they will move around in the silicone and eventually egg out the hole, been there done that!.. If you drill the holes the same size as the bolt, they will not slide in you'll have to tap them in and that will seal them plenty good, and when you tighten the bolts the brackets and backing plate will help seal it also!..
    This is the type of response I was looking for. Requires no more additional work and all I have to do is set the motor in. I do need to dowel a few holes though. Thanks to everyone for the input. :rollside: :rollside:
    P.S. I also heard I should resin the new holes and I still might and should, I know, I know, it's an old boat and it need to be at the lake and time is limited.

Warp Factor
    Putting sealant on the bolt, or the stringer washer alone won't do the job.
    You also need sealant on the other side, on the engine rail.
    Put a small circle on the stringer side of the rail around each bolt hole, and get it in place fast using a couple of bolts to align.
    Do the same thing with the stringer washers (small circle of sealant on the stringer side).
    When you torque it down, it will squeeze the sealant into every void and against the bolt, making a complete seal.
    Whenever you re-torque the the nuts on the stringer bolts, try not to let the bolts spin, as this could mess up the seal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast