Thread: Exhaust Gasket Recomendations?

Mighty Thor
    I have a 460 with aluminum exhaust manifolds that have the hump in the center of the manifold. Each manifold is bolted to the head with only 4 bolts. I bought a set of Felpro exhaust gaskets and frankly there is not much meat there and they have 8 holes rather than the 4 on my manifolds. So is there a specific exhaust gasket I should be looking for?

blown428fe
    Thats funny that you ask, I just bought Felpros last week and was wondering the same thing. Did not fire the motor yet so cant tell you how they work out.

Mighty Thor
    Thats funny that you ask, I just bought Felpros last week and was wondering the same thing. Did not fire the motor yet so cant tell you how they work out.
    I had these manifolds on a different engine with the same brand and style of gaskets and they leaked. Part of the problem may have been that the maniold was not perfectly flat. When I corrected that I noted the errosion where the gasket had failed and also started to look at how poorly everthing lined up and thought there must be something I am missing here.

bighead
    Maybe I am just a lucky idiot but I used only hi-temp silicone sealant on my aluminum exhaust logs and for two seasons am leak free.

Mighty Thor
    I called CP Performance cause they have the exhaust manifolds in thier catalog (but none in stock) and they told me there just isn't any particular gasket for these manifolds. So I guess the answer is to just goo the snot out of them. It just bugs me that there is such a thin seal with all that metal available. :cry:

Hi Temp silicone sealant works exellent, no gaskets needed :rollside:
    The problem with using gaskets is the aluminum ears on the manifolds warp when tightened, and the gasket is crushed. After a short time the gasket leaks, the manifold bolts are tightened more, more warpage occurs. Clean head surface and manifold before applying sealant, apply sealant on manifold, position manifold, bolt to head, leave bolts just less than snug, allow sealant to cure 24 hours, then snug up bolts. This will get you several leak free seasons of boating
    Sleek

79Challenger
    I agree. Just lots of high temp. silicone