Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broke my upper gear shaft in Teague Platinum drive

JMC
    Twisted the shaft running in about 2-2.5' chop, running around 85mph and started easing into and then pop. I guess 5 people, full fuel tanks, 1.26 gears and a 32" prop didn't help. Sent it to Jason at Max machine to update with his beefier upper gear shaft and bigger bearing. Anyone have any tips or "been there done that" info?

Marty Gras
    You are not the 'first' and you won't be the 'last' to have that "brand name" POS take a dump on you! "You get what you pay for?"

JMC
    So what do you recommend Marty?

GN2RVR
    Like you said JMC take it to MMWX. Great guys . I have there drive 1ooo+ HP two seasons and only change the oil every year. And im not easy on it :boxed:

JMC
    They have it right now. They are going to put their heavy duty upper gear shaft in it. They mentioned they had to machine the case to get a bigger bearing to fit the hd shaft. I am probably going to run a shorter pitch prop and try to keep it alive.

acatitude
    sorry to hear that JMC.... I have an imco extreme behind my 1000 hp and max did the same to mine. I have 20 hrs so far all good. Id be thrilled 2 get 2 seasons like gn2rvr said.... im just getting ready to change drive oil this week so will see how it looks... good luck

JMC
    Thanks BlownCarrera. What pitch prop are you guys running? I have heard stepping down in pitch will take some of the load off the drive especially with high speed gears. I have been running a 30 Bravo 1 that has had some of its diameter removed that worked pretty well but it wasnt much difference than my 32. Im going to give a 28 a try and hope it doesnt cut my cruising range much. Anyone know if the Teague platinum drive has a platinum "upper" shaft or is it just the "lower unit" shaft that is platinum? Im just trying to figure out how good the shaft was that I broke.

GN2RVR
    Im running two 32" props on my new boat 36' daytona. Both stock xr's were taken today for there internals just for insurance. And since the boat was used a freshening. On the 30' v Im running a labbed 30". Like I said no probs yet. I wish I knew I would have checked up on yours.....B

LUVNLIFE
    Out of curiousity, what torque and horsepower are the XR's rated at. I just upgraded on my motor and wonder when I have to, ie get to, upgrade the drive. Thanks

JMC
    Mercury pairs the XR with the 600 SC engine which is 600 hp but I think this is pushing it on their part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast