Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broke my upper gear shaft in Teague Platinum drive

acatitude
    JMC... I have 1.25 gears and run a 30 most of the time for cruising... It seems to be the best..... 28 gets on plane a little faster, but mid range isnt as efficent and I hit the rev limiter at 6k at wot. I also have a lab 31 that puts me right at 5900 rpm at wot for speed runs. thats all with pump gas 7-8 lbs boost. good luck with your drive keep us posted

sigepmock
    Out of curiousity, what torque and horsepower are the XR's rated at. I just upgraded on my motor and wonder when I have to, ie get to, upgrade the drive. Thanks
    According to Merc
    New for 2006 is an increased power rating for the Bravo One XR—a mind boggling 600 HP!
    No torque rating given but if you take:
    (Torque x Engine speed) / 5,252 = Horsepower
    Or Torque = (5252 x Horsepower) / RPM
    i.e. HP600 TQ = (5252 x 600) / 5000
    TQ = 630
    TQ = (5252 x 600) / 4500
    = 700
    That's a simplified version.

LUVNLIFE
    Thanks for the formula

JMC
    Im running two 32" props on my new boat 36' daytona. Both stock xr's were taken today for there internals just for insurance. And since the boat was used a freshening. On the 30' v Im running a labbed 30". Like I said no probs yet. I wish I knew I would have checked up on yours.....B
    Thanks GN2RVR! Im looking forward to getting it back.
    JMC... I have 1.25 gears and run a 30 most of the time for cruising... It seems to be the best..... 28 gets on plane a little faster, but mid range isnt as efficent and I hit the rev limiter at 6k at wot. I also have a lab 31 that puts me right at 5900 rpm at wot for speed runs. thats all with pump gas 7-8 lbs boost. good luck with your drive keep us posted
    A 31 @ 5900 with 1.25's is cooking BC! Im glad my shaft broke at 85 to 90 mph. I have seen 5700 with my 32 Bravo last fall in flat water and I think its faster than I want to go again....in a 24 footer anyhow.
    I figured a 28 would hurt my cruising range and damn I can eat fuel quick. I just dont want to replace the upper again or like you said "for a couple of seasons anyway".
    Im trying to get away from the torque but Im having trouble
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...1/DSCN0481.jpg

acatitude
    well good luck JMC, Im not expecting 2 seasons from my drive, but 1 will be great....
    You broke your shaft at 85??? thats uncommon as far as I know . they usually dont break at speed with the boat out of the water.... usually at cruising speed pushing a lot of water is when they finally give out...
    just out of curiousity when the shaft broke at 85-90 did the boat go straight or do anything stupid???

JMC
    well good luck JMC, Im not expecting 2 seasons from my drive, but 1 will be great....
    You broke your shaft at 85??? thats uncommon as far as I know . they usually dont break at speed with the boat out of the water.... usually at cruising speed pushing a lot of water is when they finally give out...
    just out of curiousity when the shaft broke at 85-90 did the boat go straight or do anything stupid???
    I had 5 people, full fuel and it was pretty choppy. I think at 80 to 85 mph Im still close to the meat of my torque numbers. When it broke it was pretty uneventfull....boat went straight.

acatitude
    well im glad to hear the boat went straight. Yes at 85 or so is probably around the 4500 rpm range id suspect??? my highest torque is at 4300 and thats around 84 mph give or take and thats the hardest area on the drive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12