Thread: How bad is a 800 stringer OMC??

1BADBAHNER
    I am really not sure how much hp these will hold (running a semi stock, mild cam 350 sb chevy) and have actually decided to sell the boat and not waste any more money on this unit. I had the outdrive rebuilt two years ago, I had to replace a gear in the upper unit and some other things were changed before it was reassembled, basic rebuild replacements shims, seals, etc. I was under the impression that (Larson Marine) was going to look the whole thing over and would have replaced anything else that may have looked worn, now I have metal shavings in the lower unit and hope it's not going to be to much to fix. I have done business with them in the past and we'll see what they can do to help me out, but it has been two years ago and I do my own service work so there isn't much in my defense of how it was taken care of. I actually change the outdrive gear fluid and engine oil twice a season with synthetic products.
    What do you guys think it could be?
    I am hoping it's just a shim or maybe even the thrust washer, I still have to take it apart but I am very discouraged about the whole thing.

Tahiti350
    I've got the '80 Tahiti 350 chev/OMC 800 combo, and it's run great for the last 6 years. I've changed the oil in the drive ONCE in that time, but check the level at the start of each season. I'm running stock heads, shim gaskets, Performer RPM manifold, adn this year upgraded from a 270 to a 280 cam, but didn't change the springs, so only picked up about 200 rpm. No problems, currently running right at 65 mph with a 14.5 x 21+ SS prop. I've heard from others that I'm pushing the limit, but.....

bocco
    1BB,
    If Larson Marine doesn't take care of you bring to Boatmasters in Dublin. It's a little ways from Stockton but worth the trip.
    Gary