I am really not sure how much hp these will hold (running a semi stock, mild cam 350 sb chevy) and have actually decided to sell the boat and not waste any more money on this unit. I had the outdrive rebuilt two years ago, I had to replace a gear in the upper unit and some other things were changed before it was reassembled, basic rebuild replacements shims, seals, etc. I was under the impression that (Larson Marine) was going to look the whole thing over and would have replaced anything else that may have looked worn, now I have metal shavings in the lower unit and hope it's not going to be to much to fix. I have done business with them in the past and we'll see what they can do to help me out, but it has been two years ago and I do my own service work so there isn't much in my defense of how it was taken care of. I actually change the outdrive gear fluid and engine oil twice a season with synthetic products.
What do you guys think it could be?
I am hoping it's just a shim or maybe even the thrust washer, I still have to take it apart but I am very discouraged about the whole thing.