Thread: I started to fix a leak and ended up..........

1968Droptop
    As some of you may know I've been chasing the smell of fuel since I purchased my boat. I thought I found it when I looked at the cracked old fuel lines, replaced them but still smelled gas. I then thought I found it when I found the rubber hoses that connect the fill cap and the fuel tank were coke bottle shaped and hard as a rock, nope not it either. I had prevoiusly removed the drivers fill neck and connecting fuel to replace the hose. Today I started to remove the other fill neck from the passenger tank. It went way easier than the drivers side. I got the fuel cap off and went to remove the 30 year old gas hose that connects the cap and the tank. While pulling on the hose I noticed it was leaning to the outside quite a bit, but was still attached to the tank. I cut the hose off only to see the welds around the tank inlet were severely cracked. I ended up pulling the entire interior out to remove the tank. After closer inspection on the drivers tank, it to had cracked around the inlet weld.
    After 3 hours of work I got them out and drained. I'll drop 'em off Tuesday to get re-welded. I'm going to ask the shop if they can make that entire area stronger to prevent it from happening again. Oh the joys of owning a boat..........LOL !!! I still think I'll be back together before Saturday. I'm starting to understand this "I'm fixing my boat" saying everyone who has a boat mutters all too often

Good job hunting it down even though it was on accident. Not something you want to go completely south on ya when your on the water.
    -beerjet-

1968Droptop
    Good job hunting it down even though it was on accident. Not something you want to go completely south on ya when your on the water.
    -beerjet-
    Ya, don't want to go North (as in up.....in smoke) either ! It really bothered me to smell the gas fumes. I'd open up the shop after it sat for a week and could smell gas.....bad bad bad ! It'll be nice to get it fixed right, and who knows how much I was losing, may be able to go a little further now
    Hey I was killen time looking at your myspace. That's not the same boat in your sig is it ?

centerhill condor
    sounds like fatigue crack.... if it took 30 years you'll probably get another 30 out of the repair.
    that's some good detective work there!

Captain Assin' Off
    You goin' to Tastin' an Racin? Sure Hope so, haven't seen you in a while!

1968Droptop
    You goin' to Tastin' an Racin? Sure Hope so, haven't seen you in a while!
    Plannin on it. I'm dropping off the tanks tomorrow, they should be done Thursday or Friday. I can have it back together Friday night no problem. Saturday will be the only day I can go though. Little Chaser man has a quad race on Sunday.
    I heard Blue Lake was good to all that went. Tony said you guys had a LOT of fun, and all the boats ran well...good to hear !

1968Droptop
    sounds like fatigue crack.... if it took 30 years you'll probably get another 30 out of the repair.
    that's some good detective work there!
    Yup, that's what I figured as well. A quick weld, maybe add a little material and off we gooooooooooooooooooo