Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake McClure? Bass Lake? any good for camping?

old school daycruiser
    McClure in Mariposa and Bass in Madera. 4 adults 6 kids, 1 boat. 2 motorhomes. Is either one a better family place than others? thanks.
    Skiing, fishing, working on boat, cooking, working on prop, beers, working on outdrive.
    Jay

KineticoH20
    Bass lake is awesome, we have spent many vacations there. It's a small lake 4 miles, but there is alot of camp sites. Do a search and you will get the lay of the land.

RitcheyRch
    Beginning to sound like I am going to have to do a Bass Lake trip this year.

Havasu_Dreamin
    Bass Lake is a nice lake. As was stated, small. We used to go there every summer for two weeks. I learned to ski there behind a 16 ft Tahiti with 100 HP Merc.....
    You may also want to consider Shaver Lake which is ~60 miles NE of Fresno off of HWY 168. Bigger lake than Bass. Since it is higher it will also be a little bit cooler than Bass. After we stopped going to Bass we started going to Shaver for two weeks every year. So. Cal Edison owns the whole forest up there and they have a real nice campground on Shaver Lake that has plenty of pull-thrus. some of the sites are even on the water with hookups.

MOBrien
    If I had to choose for the reasons you stated.....kids, motorhomes, family atmosphere, etc..... Bass Lake would not be one of my choices. It's really fun to go to on a weekend with the boys, but it's VERY small, directional (which I friggin hate), and imposes a speed limit. Yes it has campsites but is more of a party spot. Certainly not a lake known for serenity these days IMO.
    McClure is a good option. Quite a bit larger than Bass but not by any means big, has some great campsites, and is more family-friendly. We usually go there once/yr and have a nice relaxing time.
    Don Pedro is MUCH larger and has a lot of camping options at either Fleming Meadows or Moccasin Point.....not much farther than Bass or McClure. This would be my first choice.
    I've also heard great things about Shaver Lake...haven't been there, but we're going in August with several families and motorhomes.
    Good Luck & have fun!

NorCalCat
    If I had to choose for the reasons you stated.....kids, motorhomes, family atmosphere, etc..... Bass Lake would not be one of my choices. It's really fun to go to on a weekend with the boys, but it's VERY small, directional (which I friggin hate), and imposes a speed limit. Yes it has campsites but is more of a party spot. Certainly not a lake known for serenity these days IMO.
    McClure is a good option. Quite a bit larger than Bass but not by any means big, has some great campsites, and is more family-friendly. We usually go there once/yr and have a nice relaxing time.
    Don Pedro is MUCH larger and has a lot of camping options at either Fleming Meadows or Moccasin Point.....not much farther than Bass or McClure. This would be my first choice.
    I've also heard great things about Shaver Lake...haven't been there, but we're going in August with several families and motorhomes.
    Good Luck & have fun!
    ya, I agree with MOB. Bass is probobly the nicest, but really small. It is like a toilet bowl when you flush it. Directional and small. BUT beautiful.

MKEELINE
    If you've never been to Don Pedro you really should check it out. We've been going there for several years and absolutly love it. Great lake, nice campgrounds, clean marinas and a great atmosphere.
    Shaver is nice also, the Edison campground is really cool. But, the water is cold, I'm not talking shrinkage cold it is "turtling" cold, and it tends to get pretty windy there in the afternoons.

Mandelon
    Bass Lake is small, but still really nice. Lots of trees, the campground we stayed in was pretty nice for a simple pull through.
    The water is magic. My dingy stainless prop came out shiny like new after a weekend in that water.
    There is a little bay on the north side, something or other arm they call it. Nice beach and logs for the kids to play on. There's a couple of rope swings too. One at the front and one way in the back of that arm. Also on the west end there is a giant boulder that you can slide down. Its really shallow near that slide though....

Eliminator 4 Life
    Bass lake is really small especially now that its summer and alot of people go there not much room to ski or wakeboard or tube so this wouldnt be any of my choices.
    Don Pedro like Mo said would be a good time there is actually three camp grounds Blue Oaks, Fleeming which is my favorite and Mocasin. Lake McClure is actually not in Mariposa its in Mariposa county but its in the city of La Grange and its 10 mins from Don Pedro. I go to both of these lakes and in my opinon hands down Don Pedro is my favorite I am a local so if you need any info feel free to get a hold of me..
    http://www.donpedrolake.com/Campgrou...ground=Fleming

Just Tool'n
    Shaver Lake is up at 5000 ft in elevation, when it is hot in the valley, Shaver Lake is the place to go boating & camping. Great days, cool nights. Plus Trees, Trees & more Trees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast