Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cat Hunting

revpuffdaddy
    Hey, I'm an avid reader of Hot Boat, fairly new to the online stuff. I'm in the beginning stages of sorting out the tunnel boats. I've boated all my life...gone fast...gone slow....ready to go 75mph to 85mph now. Want realiable, start every time, 25ft to 28ft open bow, open bow cat, w'reliable stern drive. Probably mercruiser set up. Really like the Howard 26ft open bow. Kinda pricy...seems to be very well built. Suggestions?
    REV

MrHavasuCat
    DCB MACH 26 with hp 500. But also a little pricy.

racingrascal
    Take a look at Ultra custom boats. They have a very nice 27' cat that comes in an open bow. There prices are competive and the quality is great!
    Andy

revpuffdaddy
    Mr Havasacat,thanks for the insight. Do you own a DCB or have you had any first hand knowledge of the product?
    [This message has been edited by revpuffdaddy (edited August 08, 2001).]

Reaper1
    Hey P - Diddy. I know a guy that has a Mach 26. It's probably one of the cleanest rigging jobs I have seen. DCB sets the standard for quality and detail work. This particular boat has a 500EFI and runs right around 82 MPH. Really Nice. Just thought I'd share.
    Grim

CatBoy
    revpuffdaddy, I to am new to the 26-28' Cat craze, but I have done 2 months of data collection, flew out to S.Cal where the best of this kind of breed is built, visited Howard, Ultra, Eliminator, & DCB. Owned 3 boats before but this will be my first "custom" boat. My impresions:
    Over View: 26-28 Open Bow Cat: HP 500 EFI 79-82 MPH, want to go faster, throw a Whipple charger on it. Talk to Dustin (bright guy) dustin@whipplesuperchargers.com
    Get on as many forums as possible, ***boat online, offshoreonly.com
    read as much as possible, this is BIG $$ $80-90K for this kind of bullet proof set-up.
    Drive: Merc XZ 1.5 the, XR robs to much HP 30-50HP it is made for BIG HP set-ups.
    Put on a drive shower. Must have power steering at this speed, I am un-clear as to full hydraulic or non. Others please chime in. Many of the mags are just stroke-fests, manufactures pay for the adds, do you really think that thay are objective??...Grain of salt. look at full expoxy coating in the engine compartment....VERY clean look.
    Make an appontment with the indivdule companies, an ask every stupid question you can think of. (I hammered Mike @ Howard Boats for 31/2 hours and he answered all my questions) Compare Apples-to-Apples.
    Howard; absolut freeks about quality of thier hulls, look at their center sponson it is deeper than then the outside sponsons this enables the hull to lean left if you turn left (non Typical in a cat). Porpoiseing was a big deal in the past, but new designs have fixed most of these problems, Howard, Ultra, @ Eliminator states that there is NO porposing at ANY speed. Go for a ride. 50-70 Boats a year.
    Ultra: Great lay-up Superior Graphics and Gel-Coating. John West is the guy www.ultraboats.com (http://www.ultraboats.com) Big feeboard. He will do what ever you want, very inavative.
    Very knowledgeable Call 619 443 1100
    Go for a ride. 60-90 Boats a year.
    DCB Best Rigging on the planet, good gel coating, but lay-up and glass is not on the same league as Howard and Ulta. 50-70 Boats a year.
    Eliminator: The big boys, hundreds of boats per year. They have redone their bottom (no porposing). Good overall stuff, service may not be as good as other manufactures. Number 2 seems to try harder.
    Others: many...... Can't talk about them.
    Just call, ask, visit, go for a ride, hit the forums. Be informed. I have not made my desision yet, but am looking forward to my new boat!
    Good luck Any other input? I needto learn more.
    Bill

revpuffdaddy
    Thanks CatBoy: I really appreciate your feed back. Much of what you said I have discovered in my search. I am fortunate...I live right in the middle of all these Hot Baot builders! I am riding in a Howard 26' Open Bow Cat this weekend at Lake Havasu. It has a 500HP in it....we'll see. I have not seen the Ultra Shadow Cat yet, went to their web site and it only shows a closed bow? Doesn't say anything about open bow. I have e-mailed them...will try to call soon. Anyone else with experience in this 26' to 28' CAT....please chime in! I'll pass along my findings after the ride this weekend.
    REV

MACH26
    I own a DCB Mach 26 w/ twin 300 pro maxes. I also spent six months looking and test driving different boats. Frankly, you aren't going to find ANYONE in the same league with these guys!! After 30 hours of Havasu use I have yet fo find a bolt or screw loose, a wire disconnected, or a rigging mistake covered up (and I've looked). Everyone is going to charge you 75-85K for a 25-28 foot cat that goes 75mph (which you won't be satified with very long!!!). You might as well get you moneys worth w/ a DCB. Hope this helps....

Blown Lavey
    Did you try Lavey Craft? I have the excat set up you mentioned.
    27 cat closed bow Whippled HP500.Very solid well built boat,good service.

Reaper1
    Just to throw it out there. Have you checked out HTM. My buddy has an SS-24 with a 565 motor and it hauls booty. Radared at 107. I know it's only a 24' but they also make a 30 footer and these hulls thrive on horsepower. I think their pretty fair on price also, if you compare them to some of the big names. So many choices, what's a brother to do? It's like going to the club on Saturday night.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast