Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What trim level are you running?

mbrown2
    I am running a DCB Mach 26 502/Whippled that runs 89 GPS fully loaded. I can't remember what Dave told me might be the optimum setting, but I feel the boat runs most loose without porpoise right above 3 on the Bluewater indicator at speeds about 70. What are other DCB Mach owners running their trim at upper speeds? My drive setup is the pretty much the stock DCB setup; no higher or lower X dimension. I would also be interested to hear what other Cat owners (any make) are running trim at?

Havasu Cig
    I used to run mine at about 4 with fairly flat water running in the 105 range.

come on mb blue water indicators, those are for the pups use them ears and nerve ending god gave ya!

mbrown2
    boatnam2:
    come on mb blue water indicators, those are for the pups use them ears and nerve ending god gave ya! Can't hear shit at 90, and I got sack for more.. ...I started last week running higher last week above 3 and it felt great...never really get a chance to open her up for a long distance on Parker strip.
    Cig, was your drive pretty much setup stock height? I thought I could go higher, but I always thought someone told me keep it around 2.5.

Havasu Hangin'
    My trim levels aren't as high as they used to be (since I got married)...

FASTERDAMITT
    Don't rely on a different set up. Watch your tach and speedo for the best speed without exessive slip. wink

Reaper1
    Havasu Hangin':
    My trim levels aren't as high as they used to be (since I got married)... Funny how that works....... wink

XLGPP
    on my 27MTR I get the least amount of slip around 4.5 (gaffrig) (3.5-4.0 at havasu [elev])
    standard X-dem. At top end I trim out to about 5.5 (4200 ft) @89mph, and 4.5 at havasu @ 100mph

Robbie Racer
    MB, your question got me to thinking. On my Carrera 257, I run a extremely high trim number (7 or 8) on the Bluewater scale at WOT. Have any of you guys ever measured the actual angle of the drive compared with the sponson angle? I wonder if the "actuator" for the Bluewater indicator located on the drive might be positioned differently on some boats by the rigger so that we will see widely different angles at the same number on the scale. For example on my set up, a Bluewater reading of 6 is actually neutral in that the outdrive angle and sponson angles are the same. A reading of 8 is about 6 degrees out trim on the drive. Has anyone else measured this? Thanks, R/R

Havasu Cig
    I was told that the drive height on my last Mach was their standard setup, so I asume it would be the same. I ran mine from 3-6, but it seemed to perform the best at around 4, maybe just a touch over. Again this is in fairly flat water when you can air the boat out with no worries about big chop, or large wake.
    Like others have said on here, it will vary from boat to boat. On our Cig it likes to run at about 5 1/2 for maximum speed in calm water, which is a fairly nuetral trim for that boat. You can run a strait edge off the bottom of the boat to the drive to find out where nuetral is if you care. I know alot of the offshore guys to this with both tabs, and drive trim, and then mark the indicators.
    For Top speed I take the boat to the large part of the lake and run from one end to the other. I watch the tach, trim, and gps and can figure out where the most efficient trim is. That kind of gives me a bench mark so I don't over trim. The cats will also need less trim running into the wind, and will run faster than with the wind. My cig is just the opposite.
    Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast