Thread: weld bowl?

Big Boys Toy PE857
    I blew 2 holes in my jet pump bowl this past weekend. I cut coupons to match the holes and the bowl is at the local welding shop. Have any of you guys ever had a bowl welded or do you feel there is a safety issue? Nothing went through the pump just a thin casting I suppose. On a 90+ mph Cheyenne with no ratchet. Changed from 1 motor to another with considerably more power and blew out on first pass.
    T/Y

cave
    If it blew once, wouldn't the bowl just blow out in another week spot? If it was me I would buy a new bowl to accommodate the boost in power.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I'm with cave. The casting concerns me, and welding a casting concerns me. I know new bowls are 'spensive, but I'd go that way.

poncho-pwr
    I have a nice used Bowl if you need one and don't have the coin for a new one. I am sure there are others that have used bowls as well.

steelcomp
    I blew 2 holes in my jet pump bowl this past weekend. I cut coupons to match the holes and the bowl is at the local welding shop. Have any of you guys ever had a bowl welded or do you feel there is a safety issue? Nothing went through the pump just a thin casting I suppose. On a 90+ mph Cheyenne with no ratchet. Changed from 1 motor to another with considerably more power and blew out on first pass.
    T/YWouldn't even consider it.

promod
    jim go ahead and break down and get ya 9 or 11 vane bowl

Big Boys Toy PE857
    Grant,
    The bowl I have is an Agressor 9 vane. I talked w/ Dave at Agressor and he said he is willing to replace my bowl but it isn't working into my time schedule. I want to run my boat this weekend. Looks like the swap may take as much as 3-4 weeks and I just got the thing together after lots of cash, sweat, tears and midnight oil burning. Sooooooo 3 weeks seems like an eternity. Don't intend to run it forever just until I can come up with a spare so I can send the Agressor off. But....... so far all I've had is negative comments except from the welder who says the repairs will be stronger than the original casting.

promod
    Grant,
    The bowl I have is an Agressor 9 vane. I talked w/ Dave at Agressor and he said he is willing to replace my bowl but it isn't working into my time schedule. I want to run my boat this weekend. Looks like the swap may take as much as 3-4 weeks and I just got the thing together after lots of cash, sweat, tears and midnight oil burning. Sooooooo 3 weeks seems like an eternity. Don't intend to run it forever just until I can come up with a spare so I can send the Agressor off. But....... so far all I've had is negative comments except from the welder who says the repairs will be stronger than the original casting.
    jim, wish i had a spare i would mail it to ya, long as you take it easy you should be ok, i know the foot can get heavy at times, believe me i know all about the time and sweat have worked on 5 boats over the winter not touching mine yet, maybe some of east coast boys might can round one up, so that it will be closer to you, not much time left for the weekend, anyways only one way to find out on the bowl is to run it and pray that is stays together, if i come up with something i'll give ya a hollar.
    Good Luck!!!!!!!
    later
    Pro Mod