Thread: 496 Mag Ho MIcro tuner

FIREMAN
    smile_sp
    Does anyone know if you can by a "micro tuner" or reprogramer for the 496 mag HO? I know you can get it reprogramed through a dealer but I was wondering if you could purchase a tuner, much like the "Superchips" MicroTuner I have for my turbo diesel. Thanks, Dusty

SBullet
    Fireman,
    Whipple has the right to reprogram the Merc Computers! GT Marine in Montclair CA can do that for about grand!!!I am going to reprogram my computer when my warranty expires!!

partycat
    I have the same motor. What settings can you change and for what results would you be hoping for?

FIREMAN
    I was told I could get about 5-6 MPH more out of it with just reprograming the computer. If you think about it, that's a f#@kin riot at $1,000.00 a pop. It takes 3 to 5 minutes for the micro tuner to extract your info from your computer and upload the new program.... Who's got the tuner I'll frickin buy it. My F350 gained 120 HP and 185 FT LBS of torque with the micro tuner fro Super Chips, Maybe they'll make one in the future. But hey it still less expensive than 5,000 for a blower.....

Sandbar Junkies
    I talked to the people at GT marine $990.00 He says you get about 10% more HP I think I will save my money and buy more beer.

mike37
    Sandbar Junkies:
    I talked to the people at GT marine $990.00 He says you get about 10% more HP I think I will save my money and buy more beer. thats 42 hp gain not bad

bigq
    mike37:
    Sandbar Junkies:
    I talked to the people at GT marine $990.00 He says you get about 10% more HP I think I will save my money and buy more beer. thats 42 hp gain not bad and maybe a 2-4 MPH increase.

Whipple Charged
    Fireman,
    The Motorola 555 processor cannot be modified without some serious hardware that is very expensive. So there is no "micro-tuner." 5-6mph will be impossible with that type of hp gain. More like 1-3 in most cases. No OEM mfg leaves that much power on the table, they extract what they can with a certain reliability/endurance level in mind.
    Dustin