Thread: do I need top loader intake for my Berkley?

kcsteck
    how important is it to get top loader intake for Berkley jet. My tahiti with 455 Olds bored 30 over (462), cam ,headers, Victor intake,Demon 750 wont go over 4900 rpm and or 60mph hits 4900 and 60MPH and thats all she wrote. do I need the top loader i have the dam stock rock grate. please give me your opinions. I am cool with 60 mph just dont want to have to push 4900 to get there. On the tag of my Berkley it came with A impellar. the guy i bought boat from last year said it has a AB impellar what ever that was. Im not sure about anything that guy said so let me know what ya think. guess id have to open it to find out??? was told AA was best for me and my aplication with the olds and all?
    Casey

kcsteck
    i heard people cut there current impellars to different cuts like A to AB can you cut it to AA?
    Casey

sleekvino
    i heard people cut there current impellars to different cuts like A to AB can you cut it to AA?
    Casey
    an aa is the biggest you can get and you can not cut to an aa,i would say you probley have a a/b cut because your turning an olds to 4900,you could try a loader to see if it helps try to borrow one to see what happens before you buy,just remember that an olds does not like rpms for long periods of time,dont stay wot for more then about 15 sec..just my 2$

Wet Dream
    Stick with the standard rock grate. If you're not pushing 70 mph and not spinning the motor over 5000, you'll probably find that it'll slow the boat down.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Agreed, the rock grate should be fine at 60mph on that boat. The loader could be a drag, or just do nothing noticable. Also, if you want to find out, do try to borrow someone's spare to avoid spending $200 on one that you may well not like.

gregr1971
    i agree with the rock grate theory, been there done it, i am now running the "ss" loader and a 455 .30 over, but i have found that the olds can't make the power to push the boat fast enough to need one.
    my .02