Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "81 Merc 2.4 flywheel replacement??

jbinyma11
    Took the serial #(5693789) year and model('81 2.4 merc 200 hp) To the local dealer today he quoted me $636.00 for another one!!! He said the motor is more than 10y/o and it (the serial#) has to be crossed referenced with another serial# so that is the cost of a new "kit" as he put it
    Is this true!!
    Thanks guys,
    JB

timebomb1
    I double that c note bet. The timing might change but not more that the +/- 2 degrees that is called out for at w.o.t and idle. Take up T.D for his used one. I have one also if his does not work out. Part number for the puller is 91-73687a1, order one from Mercury part express and they will ship it to the house. I would also check out why the teeth were ground off. Is the starter sticking?
    What part of Yuma?
    I spent a little time there. Wearing green and fixing aircraft.
    Looks like the number has been superceded, http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/P...has+been+subst ituted+with%3A+849154T+1&CID=168150186061226063269
    For the price of the tool, your local shop should be able to pop yours off and you can install the new/used one. Hope it works out. Gary

jbinyma11
    I double that c note bet. The timing might change but not more that the +/- 2 degrees that is called out for at w.o.t and idle. Take up T.D for his used one. I have one also if his does not work out. Part number for the puller is 91-73687a1, order one from Mercury part express and they will ship it to the house. I would also check out why the teeth were ground off. Is the starter sticking?
    What part of Yuma?
    I spent a little time there. Wearing green and fixing aircraft.
    Looks like the number has been superceded, http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/P...has+been+subst ituted+with%3A+849154T+1&CID=168150186061226063269
    For the price of the tool, your local shop should be able to pop yours off and you can install the new/used one. Hope it works out. Gary
    Thanks Gary, I will definately be taking one of you guys up on that flywheel. Thanks for the link to the puller. I ended up renting one for $20.00 from the boat shop. It worked good pulled the flywheel right off.. The starter is not sticking but the teeth on the bendex were worn and I knew it needed to be replaced but I didn't think it would chew up the flywheel. (lesson learned)
    I live in the foothills east of Yuma. Work at YPG which is very convenient this time of year just tow the boat to work and hit the water right after
    Thanks again,
    JB

timebomb1
    Good deal.
    I spent some time on that part of the river. Some how I managed to get asigned to the Marine Corps rec area for six months. Martinez lake bar was always fun on a holiday weekend. We would start at Fishers landing and ski all the way up to the rock house, and float back down. I was there back in the 80's when they were testing that offroad missle launcher. Is the road out to Martinez any better? Is was pretty rough.
    Set the timing mark at the pointer before you pull the flywheel. When you drop the new/used on on make sure it is still at the same mark. Then there will be no question. Gary

jbinyma11
    I've been out here since '89. The road is still bad but they have made some improvements. The MC Rec Center is pretty nice now and there are some really big nice houses being built around the lake. We are getting a lot of folks from Cali down here now and it gets way busy even on a regular weekend.
    We usually launch at Fishers and go way North to the Cliffs it's nice and quite up there. Most of the area you are speaking of is No Ski zone now. their are a couple of huge sand bars that everybody parties on there. We usually stop in to check out the "scenery" and go farther up.
    Take care and Thanks for the pointers,
    JB

You Te
    I double that c note bet. The timing might change but not more that the +/- 2 degrees that is called out for at w.o.t and idle.
    + or - 2 degrees Interesting!

You Te
    [QUOTE=timebomb1
    Set the timing mark at the pointer before you pull the flywheel. When you drop the new/used on on make sure it is still at the same mark. Then there will be no question. Gary[/QUOTE]
    Now your talking.

timebomb1
    I guess I could tell the whole story about setting the intial pick up timing with a dial indicator at tdc and the setting the pointer Then rotating the motor .150 counter clockwise to 25 degrees b.t.d.c indicated on the pointer. Then rotating the motor back clockwise and check to see if the intial pickup is tdc +/-2 degrees. Then again I would need to know if it had single or two stage reeds. But I'll bet I will still win a c note times 2. :rollside: Gary

You Te
    I guess I could tell the whole story about setting the intial pick up timing with a dial indicator at tdc and the setting the pointer Then rotating the motor .150 counter clockwise to 25 degrees b.t.d.c indicated on the pointer. Then rotating the motor back clockwise and check to see if the intial pickup is tdc +/-2 degrees. Then again I would need to know if it had single or two stage reeds. But I'll bet I will still win a c note times 2. :rollside: Gary
    You mean set it to 0 at the pointer for TDC and then back it up to 150 tho. which is 25 degrees, of course fuel and compression might come into play for that 25 degrees btdc.
    You could tell the whole story about indexing the fly wheel and checking each hole to see how the switch boxes are doing.

Towndrunk
    Quit it now!! Dont confuse our new friend. :boxed:
    DO NOT READ THIS POST AND DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE TWO SMART ASSES!!! :yuk:
    If it's in time now it will be intime when you change the flywheel. :rollside:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast