Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realisticly how fast can a Tahiti really go MPH

kcsteck
    ok ive been postin on here for a while about tryin to get my boat to run hard.76 18ft Tahiti jet (seats 5) Unfortunatly I was plaged wit the OLDS 455 from the start. I went and checked everything on it and it seemed to have all the needed things done to it for a Olds to survive, Oil Main restrictors,After market rods and ARP rod bolts,12 quart pan,etc. It also Had a single tunnel on it with a 600 holley that made it go lean last season and I sucked 2 valves which now has been fixed. I changed the cam to a 280 Comp cams cam,got rid of the tunnel and just put a Victor on it with Speed Demon 750,added headers,and Unilite 9000 distributer. It runs alot better then before but I just cant seem to break the 60MPH on GPS im right at 60.1 (bymyself) at 4900 RPM turnin a A impeller in a Berkley JC with place diverter and a stock rock grate intake.
    The boat seems really heavy compared to my buddies 18ft Bahner who has 454,292 cam ,850 holley,headers,Airgap,same pump and impellar,some kind of aftermarket pump intake,lighter boat and he gets to same RPM 4900 at 63mph GPS thats it!
    What I want to know is what the hell do i have to do to reach 70?Is my hull and setup capable of 70? Do I need to switch Impellar to like AA or somethin and gain some horsepower somwhere in the lower RPM.Same for my buddy?Or is it going to be impossible to get this heavy Tahiti to 70 or at least cost way to much ( not worth it)?

IMPATIENT 1
    hull will do 70, but rite now yours will prob. do 58-62 wot.talk to taylorman, he's got a wealth of knowledge makin bbo's run hard.

kp216
    Are you sure your tach is reading correct?
    What kind of condition is your impeller?
    How straight is your bottom?
    My 78 CobraJet is heavy, seats 6 and has a po-dunk 403 Olds that makes 245hp with the JC/A with an Aggressor diverter. Top end with just me in the boat is 59.7 at 4250rpm. I would love to have another 600 - 700 rpm.
    Edit: I also believe the bottom on my boat is very similar to a Tahiti and or a Glastron.

kcsteck
    well I think my tach is reading correct as far as I can tell.Idles with choppy idle around 800-900. bottom of boat looks ok I guess? I dont know what its supposed to look like. Impellar no idea what it looks like or what shape pump anything is in?? I just run it. I guess it needs to be pulled apart in the winter and have someone look at it. is there a way to tell without pullin it apart?
    Casey

CampbellCarl
    Not trying to jack your thread.....any interest in selling your 600 Holley?
    I'm running an old Buick 401 Nailhead and looking for a GOOD 600 Holley. Reasonably priced of course!
    Carl

kcsteck
    sorry gave it away.
    Casey

MudPumper
    Just advertise it on E-Bay and it will do 100+..... :crossx:

Some Kind Of Monster
    bottom of boat looks ok I guess?
    You're looking for hook rear the rear. Take a straight edge and run it length wise from the rear of the boat and check for any light coming through between the straight edge the the bottom of the boat. Any light indicates a hook. Too much hook = bad

kcsteck
    wish it was that easy!
    Is the consencus Im gettine here, either tach is wrong or my pump and impeller is tore up? My pump when tryin to turn over by hand with drive shaft disconnected is not possible.Need pry bar or channellocks with some levarage.
    I wander if that has anything to do with it.But if it should turn easier then that mean my motor would turn even more rpms i would think?how do I check the tach besides buyin another tach?
    this is so confusing trying to figure out.

moneysucker
    wish it was that easy!
    Is the consencus Im gettine here, either tach is wrong or my pump and impeller is tore up? My pump when tryin to turn over by hand with drive shaft disconnected is not possible.Need pry bar or channellocks with some levarage.
    I wander if that has anything to do with it.But if it should turn easier then that mean my motor would turn even more rpms i would think?how do I check the tach besides buyin another tach?
    this is so confusing trying to figure out.
    A timing light with an rpm reading. The pump is probably some of your problem. The Olds can pull a tree stump but will not survive in high rpm situations for long periods of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast