Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: prop selection

Beer-30
    i might just bight the bullet and buy an msd setup. nothing fancy, just enough to help out.
    Teague deals in those all the time. I would check with them. They may have the answers you are looking for about speed/prop/lack of both.

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
    I had a 454 Mag in a 28' deck boat w/ a Bravo-3 drive w/ 1.50 gears and 26 pitch prop's that went in the low 60's. @ 5000 rpm. Boat weight is 4800# (I think). Take your 5 hour ride to Havazoo and have them check it. After they fix it stay for a week and have fun. :idea:

Beer-30
    And the mufflers are knocking you down some also, but not enough to have to change props.

IT'SONLYMONEY
    I had a 454 Mag in a 28' deck boat w/ a Bravo-3 drive w/ 1.50 gears and 26 pitch prop's that went in the low 60's. @ 5000 rpm. Boat weight is 4800# (I think). Take your 5 hour ride to Havazoo and have them check it. After they fix it stay for a week and have fun. :idea:
    i am going to do a few things and then you are right. we will make the trip and then go to parker. i love that place.
    thanks for the info
    chuck

IT'SONLYMONEY
    And the mufflers are knocking you down some also, but not enough to have to change props.
    yeah i thought about taking them out. i don't think she will be to loud if your not

Beer-30
    i am going to do a few things and then you are right. we will make the trip and then go to parker. i love that place.
    thanks for the info
    chuck
    Keep after it. If you decide to run it out to Advantage, try to plan it for Sept 1st-5th. We have the house rented out there again, and will have both boats. You could ride with us while the boat is down.

Beer-30
    Could also be fuel. You had a stuck injector, so there could be some trash in the filter, but I assume you have changed that since you've owned it. However, our 496s had a problem with trash collecting in the inlet of the fuel pump. No filter from the tanks to the inlet. Mine had a few little pieces of debris, but nothing that would clog. You may want to get Marty out to the lake with you and hang a fuel pressure gauge on it and make sure you are getting adequate fuel pressure to the injection. That is a simple "no cost" test that you can rule out as a problem.
    If we EVER meet up again at the lake, I would be happy to bring my fp gauge kit and hook it up for you to check it.
    I am sure Marty has one also. He has looked at a lot more of those than I have.
    However, if it WAS going lean on the upper end, you would most likely be experiencing popping and hickups. If the ignition is getting weak anywhere along the chain, it would not provide adequate fire during a load.
    He should also have a scanner to plug into the ECM and check the sensors for EFI. As long as none of those have gone bad on you, I would look at ignition and a compression test.

Pro Max
    To me it sounds like your perty close. I have a Magic 28deck with 425hp ho and with a 24p at 4800-5000 it would run 65mph average
    With 385hp and a 454 I would guess a 20-22p butt deffintly a 4 blade.
    If it were a 496mag 385hp I would think a 22p because it has a lot more torque that the 454.
    I would take your prop to Hill Propellers with all the info written down
    temp at time of test
    rpm
    approx boat weight
    speed
    And go from there I bet he gets you closer to what you want.
    I think Power Boat magazine just did a test on the Advantage party deck with a 496ho and if memmory serves me right it ran 58mph

Beer-30
    To me it sounds like your perty close. I have a Magic 28deck with 425hp ho and with a 24p at 4800-5000 it would run 65mph average
    With 385hp and a 454 I would guess a 20-22p butt deffintly a 4 blade.
    If it were a 496mag 385hp I would think a 22p because it has a lot more torque that the 454.
    I would take your prop to Hill Propellers with all the info written down
    temp at time of test
    rpm
    approx boat weight
    speed
    And go from there I bet he gets you closer to what you want.
    I think Power Boat magazine just did a test on the Advantage party deck with a 496ho and if memmory serves me right it ran 58mph
    This would be a 27' Victory, not party deck.

Beer-30
    We should quit giving him advice. If it is, indeed, running poorly in HP arena and he gets it running tip-top; he is going to want his 22P Bravo1 back.
    The problem with that, is - he sold it to me for 300 smacks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast