Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMI Install

Pro Max
    Well you may remember a thread a while back about installing Eddie Marine Thunders on the 496ho
    Well lets just say it diddnt work out for me due to conditions beyond my controll and Eddie Marine stepped up to the plate a refunded my money 100%. Good guys over there !
    So I clossed my eyes and bought the CMI's and what an AWESOME kit. I had a busy workload so I left the install to Absolute Speed and Marine and they got it done in about 5 hours. Super clean and so far so good.
    Before the install
    80 degrees
    1/4 tank fuel
    2 people abord
    24p prop
    spedo showed 67mph at 5,000
    After Install
    90degrees
    full tank fuel
    2 people abord
    26p Bronson Hill cut down to 25p
    spedo showed 72mph at 5,000
    I know the spedo isnt accurate but it served its pourpose in this test. I just Bought a Mercury Lab 26 from Teague ( OUCH ) so I am hopeing for more this weekend. If it still runs 72 ( spedo ) with the increased heat I will be happy,

Pro Max
    Photo

Beer-30
    Although, you would think they would help a guy out and provide a bracket that mounts the oil filter right-side-up! I hate these up-side-down filters!
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attac...chmentid=14973

Pro Max
    I second that !!!

atomickitn
    provide a bracket that mounts the oil filter right-side-up! I hate these up-side-down filters!
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attac...chmentid=14973[/QUOTE]
    the upside down filter helps in the drain back of the oil after the engine has set for a few days, its still not as messy as if was up right......

Beer-30
    the upside down filter helps in the drain back of the oil after the engine has set for a few days, its still not as messy as if was up right......
    I understand that, but I don't want it to drain back. I would prefer that the oil filter be FULL on start up. Takes away that momentary lack of oil. Sure, one could always add a pre-oiler.
    Secondly, when changing filter, the oil that is left on the mount spills all around the edge. With normal filter location, one can poke the bottom and let all the oil drain into a cup prior to removal. Alot less mess that way.
    GT mounts his horizontally, and that is a happy-medium. Most all other pro-riggers mount their HP1s, 4s and 6s with the seal up, can down.

SUPERDUTYRHINO
    Those look sweet, did you notice more bottom end even with the bigger prop?

Pro Max
    Power all around, especially once it hit 3,500 rpm.
    The biggest difference was crusing along and hammering it, it excellerated a lot faster. I just got home to my new Mercury Lab 26 on my doorstep. I cant wait to run it saturday morning in Havasu.
    Those look sweet, did you notice more bottom end even with the bigger prop?

Pro Max
    I just tried out the prop calculator and man does that hurt, I think with a 26p in the real world ( no spedo ) I will be very very lucky to see 72, I thinking more like 70mph, Oh well

BadKachina
    Most marine filters have an anti drain back valve in them. That should solve your empty filter on start up problem. I pop a hole in them while I drain the oil out of the pan and they are usually alot easier to manage after you let them drain a little. Mine is sideways, I hate it but that just happens to be the mount I went with. Too lazy to change it now.
    Those are really good numbers outof those CMI's. :rollside: Labbed props will give you better midrange, so some of what your feeling is the CMI's and some is the better prop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast