Thread: DIY Windshield for Day Cruiser?

El Prosecutor
    Anybody tried making your own custom "venturi" style / forward swept windshield? I am thinking about giving it a go and would appreciate any ideas on methods, plans, and where to get materials.

IMPATIENT 1
    The Hi-tech Performance Site Has A Link To A Windshield Supplier On It, Might Check It Out.i Know They Make Em For Taylor Ss's And Other Styles Too.

El Prosecutor
    The Hi-tech Performance Site Has A Link To A Windshield Supplier On It, Might Check It Out.i Know They Make Em For Taylor Ss's And Other Styles Too.
    Thanks for the info - I did find another place pretty close by (L & L Marine) that can make one for $300 - $400, but thought it would be a fun project to try myself.
    I have been reading up a little, and apparently you can bend the plexiglass pretty easily using a heat gun. :idea: I am thinking of making a mock-up out of cardboard, do all the fine tuning on the design, cuts and bends etc. with the cardboard, then trace/cut/bend the plexi - hopefully right on the first try.
    The best part is, if it works I can tell my wife "Hey Honey, I saved 300 bucks on the windshield, now we can afford a diverter!"

YeLLowBoaT
    Thanks for the info - I did find another place pretty close by (L & L Marine) that can make one for $300 - $400, but thought it would be a fun project to try myself.
    I have been reading up a little, and apparently you can bend the plexiglass pretty easily using a heat gun. :idea: I am thinking of making a mock-up out of cardboard, do all the fine tuning on the design, cuts and bends etc. with the cardboard, then trace/cut/bend the plexi - hopefully right on the first try.
    The best part is, if it works I can tell my wife "Hey Honey, I saved 300 bucks on the windshield, now we can afford a diverter!"
    yes and no. For 1 "plexiglass" is the wrong material. You really need to look at ether a lamit or lexan. Other wise the 1st big wave you hit it will crack.
    The use a of a heat gun to bend "acrylic"( generic term) only works on very small and thin peices. For simple bends( IE corners and the like) you can get "heat stips". For the more complex stuff your looking at a "oven". Since your building a windsheild I doubt that you can use your oven.( which for small parts actaully works damn good). If you can get it up to temp you will need to have some type of form to shape it with.( the diff between solid,bendable and burnt is about 15*-25*) Once you get it up to temp its like working with a very hot wet noodle....Then there is machining. You will need at the very least a router with a "up cut" bit. Then you will need to clean those up. ether by micro meshing or flame polishing. micro meshing is pretty strait forward and come in kits. For flame polishing is not some thing for the DIYer. You need to use hydrogen torch. I am not saying its not something a DIYer can't do. Its just if you don't have the tools, it will cost you alot more to buy them then it will to have some 1 else make it.
    If your set on doing it, go too your local plastic supplyer/fabractor and talk with them on the exact product you need. then buy some scarp of the product( normally sold by the pound) and Try bending up some small parts. It will give you some idea of how its done.
    Nothing makes me madder then fooking up a $100-500+++ sheet of plastic...
    Also don't faint when you find out how much the material costs... I will guess it to be around $200.

AZKC
    Very informative, great post.