Thread: trick flow heads

tahiti cowboy
    this goes out to all the gear head ford guys im thinking about buying a set of a460 heads from trick flow has anybody ever run theseand what kind of bull do you have to get to run these I already have a intake but I did here these will make a bbf go pretty good butt if anyone has any other info it would help a ton thanks

LakesOnly
    A-460's? How big is this engine you are building and what's the application? I know plenty of people running them but you need to consider what is the most appropriate head for your build, not necessarily the biggest.
    More info please,
    LO

tahiti cowboy
    well lakes I have a 466 bbf I want to put them on I know there to much head for this motor butt I have a tunnel ram sheet metal intake I just picked up cheap so if i just go buy the headsnew or find a good used pair Im a head ofthe game I do plan on building a 533 later on so I might as well buy the good heads but any extra info would help oh ya the motor I a 466 100 tho. pop ups in itand ford motorsports m-6250-c460 camshaft thats the motor I have right know thanks

LakesOnly
    well lakes I have a 466 bbf...I have a tunnel ram sheet metal intake...I do plan on building a 533 later, so I might as well buy the good heads...oh ya the motor is a 466 100 tho. pop ups in it and M-6250-C460 camshaft thats the motor I have right now, thanks
    You gave me little to go by in regards to the applicaton. Assuming this is a Jet Boat, "Tahiti" Cowboy:
    Is your sheetmetal T/R for A460 heads or for standard port configuration D0VE/SCJ heads? A T/R for heads with the standard port layout ain't gonna fit the A460 heads.
    I suspect that your cam with these heads would be a big mismatch for your 466 Tahiti. A460 heads would work great on a little 466 provided you intend to spin it to 8500 rpm. (And even then you'll still need to work the heads...)
    Although I don't know what you have for an impeller, I can't help but nevertheless suspect that the cam is already a bit much for your current application, and that less cam might be better suited as your engine sits now (but I need more info).
    The A460 heads could make a screaming 533, but you will need to build a lot more than that longblock, also everything that goes around that motor, plus pump work, etc.
    I don't know what you are intending on doing here but if I were in your shoes, I might also consider the TFS 429/460 heads. They can work excellenty on your current build and also work on a 521/533 that needs to produce peak power at around 6000 rpm.
    LO

From what I've heard the valves won't clear the small bore of the stock 460. These heads need at least 4.44" bore for clearance. Recommended bore for these heads is 4.50" to gain full benefit of the valve size.

AzMandella
    From what I've heard the valves won't clear the small bore of the stock 460. These heads need at least 4.44" bore for clearance. Recommended bore for these heads is 4.50" to gain full benefit of the valve size.
    That's right they do require a larger bre than the stock 460.And I dont think you can notch the cylinders.

LakesOnly
    From what I've heard the valves won't clear the small bore of the stock 460. These heads need at least 4.44" bore for clearance. Recommended bore for these heads is 4.50" to gain full benefit of the valve size.058,
    The new TFS A460's are delivered with a 1.88 exhaust valve (this is the valve that gets closest in the bore), and mechanically speaking they should clear 4.40"...although it is indeed not recommended and in several ways a mismatch/waste in the big picture of things. (I've never personally done this, but I'm pretty sure the Evans' have.) The addtional headwork I noted above for 4.36 included turning the valve dia down a bit, but again it's really just going to great extremes for yet a lesser return. All the more reason to steer the TC away from these heads...
    LO
    PS: I needed a break from the workworkwork and willl be due west of Shasta (Trinity) for the w/e.

LakesOnly
    That's right they do require a larger bre than the stock 460. And I dont think you can notch the cylinders.The top of the cylinder of the 385 Series can most certainly be relieved the .020"/.035" necessary to squeese these heads on....but again it's just killing the capabilities of the heads and a completely innapropriate application.
    LO