Thread: turbo

kgeeeee
    Can someone tell me the negative or positive of turbo engines. How does turbo relate to blown or supercharged. Is it quite different. If the engines are 454's and turbo giving out 850HP. Is there something I should be aware of or are turbo engines a pretty safe bet or pretty sad in others words stay a long way away.

Craig
    Turbos use less horsepower than a typical supercharger because they aren't driven off the motor with a belt. The turbos tend to make their power on the top end and lack the low end torque of the 8-71 style. The turbos plumbing tend to be more complicated then the superchargeras well. A well thought out turbo system will make some serious power.

Unchained
    With blowers, you have to overdrive the hell out of them to make any significant boost and then you also make a lot of heat but the power is instant on. With Turbo's they make more boost than the engine can take so you need to have a wastegate(s) to bypass the excess. There is some power lag as the turbo's need to spool up to make boost.
    The largest turbo I ever saw was at a natural gas pumping station. It was on a 26,000 hp stationary engine that both burned and pumped natural gas. The turbo was about 5' in diameter.
    The engine only ran 290 rpm. There was a door in the crankcase that some one could walk in when they needed to service the engine.
    Anyone else seen some interesting big industrial machinery?

hack job
    i saw a turbo for a cruise ship it was 9' and was putting out ike 100k hp but that moving a huge ship and i would imagine that the motor is the size of a big rig,
    but too tell you a little about turbos i just sold a gale banks twin turbo set up. it was suppose to put out like 650 with a stock bottom end. now the problem is they take up a lot of space cause the are spun off the exhaust gas out of your exhaust . they get a lot hotter than a blower. and the require a oil source which isnt trought just going to costly. there are many tuboed boats out on the water , not too many are jets mine was. but feel free to email me if you have any ?'s. but for my money i would get the blower! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
    Tyson www.plumbersassracing.com (http://www.plumbersassracing.com)

schiada96
    The blower motor is cheaper. I feel a proper turbo setup is better for a boat. The turbo motor can be made to hit strong off the bottom or come on from the mid range. The new turbos with ceramic or ball bearings can spool up real fast.
    I've got 200+ hours on mine. It will make boost at 2800 rpm to a max of 16lbs at 5400.
    A good turbo guy is a must to get you set up with the correct stuff.
    Sorry for the stupid smiley
    [This message has been edited by schiada96 (edited July 07, 2002).]

FastTimmy
    Turbo's rule.