Thread: Need some 460 help.

skeeter
    Been out of the jet boat seen for about 12 years and still had my boat but found another hull thats in better shape. The question I have is that this winter I want to go through my 460. I have a set of dooe-r heads that I picked up at a garage sale for 25 bucks. (no kidding) and had them magged and found no problems.
    I have been seeing these kits on ebay.
    http://tinyurl.com/gdynk
    and found they are mostly imported parts. What I want is a mild pump gas motor making its peak power under 5200 rpm so to be able to pull a A2. I already also have a port o sonic that has been hpc coated so I wouldnt have to spend a fortune on this motor.
    Are the imported kits any good or am I asking for problems?
    Thanks

LakesOnly
    There are some fine offshore stroker kits out there, such as SCAT and Eagle, for example. You will get differing opinions on this subject, but personally I'd pass on the kit you are linking. Those I know that have prepped the Hawks kits said that the money saved on that cheapo kit was ultimately spent in the machine shop (journals need cleanup, balancing, etc.). You may get lucky and not need to kick down the extra bucks....personally, I'd get a quality kit with forged pistons and more nicely finished parts, pay a little more up front and not worry about things.
    In all seriousness, you can forget about using the D0OE-R heads on a 460 jet boat with an AA impeller or even an A or A/B. The are a complete mismatch for the application and you'd be much better off with ported D0VE heads. The large-ported D0OE-R heads don't wake up until over 5000 on such a motor and would be better suited for a 500-inch engine and even better on a 521 & up. Anything smaller in displacement and you can get better results with smaller heads that have been properly prepped. This is common knowledge among those in the Ford camp and I've proven it to a couple of Forum members already (with a head swap on their boat) and am currently doing another. Bigger is NOT always better, but yes they might be very well suited for a stroker indeed.
    LO

from what little i know about the 460...i agree with LO...i personally think a .030 or .060 bore job & some work on ur present heads would make ur goal quite easely...a good carb & good ign will help also...i dont think u need to spend the $$$ for a stroker kit to have a very reliable motor...just my .02 cents
    fastrat

'78 gt boat
    Tell ya what........ I believe in LO on the whole 460 motor deal. I can't say enough about the motor he put together for me. A nice 460 with a mild cam and a loittle head work and only pushing about 400 ponies. This guy knows his sh_ _!!!! He won't steer yopu wrong. :crossx: :crossx:

'76Southwind
    Lakes is currently putting together a little package for me with the dove heads setup, I had the dooe-r heads and my southwind moved out. All signs point to even better performance since my new setup will be port matched (block,heads,headers all same size ports). Bigger isn't always better.

LakesOnly
    Thanks very much, guys.
    LO