Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford vers Chevy

DEL51
    557 cu. inch out of stock block Ford. How many inches out of a BOWTIE?

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yep, 572CID, 650 or 720 HP.
    How much $$$$ ya got to spend? :cry: :cry:

LakesOnly
    That's 557 cubic inches from a dime-a-dozen passenger car block. Most any block, and not a special, less common 427 tall deck truck block or variation thereof. Further, there is no clearancing required to fit the rotating assembly into the crankcase.
    And 557 cubes assumes using a readily available shelf kit; fact is that I'm currently assembling parts to manage 584 cubes from a stock block. Further yet, 604 cubes have been stuffed into them.
    In regards to that shootout posted above, let me just say that I was disappointed in the Ford entry's build from the get-go. For example:
    1) Most Ford enthusasts know that the edelBROCK heads are the lowest on the food chain of aluminum heads for the BBF and that the SCJ's (originally considered for the build) could have delivered more HP.
    2) The ported flow numbers quoted by the entrant are way less than stellar among the capabilities of the better available heads. Frankly, iron D0VEs can flow those numbers once ported, and even better numbers if the person executing the port job knows these heads.
    3) The HP numbers generated by the Ford entry can be had with the passenger car iron heads.
    LO

LakesOnly
    It was a 540 with 300 rods offset ground crank with a 850 setting on top of it. I think it was in hot boat. I think it dynoed @ 725+ on pump gas.
    This is an old article and goes back to long before the current plethora of aftermarket parts were available for the 460. Lot's has changed since it was originally written, but if you want to see that way it used to be done, click HERE. (http://www.geocities.com/styleline58/540ford.html)
    LO

Us Ford guys getting defensive??? Gimme a break....you Bow-Tie guys all froth and foam at the mouth and hyperventilate every time some Ford guy comes along and makes some Ford vs Chevy statement. How dare we desecrate in words or deeds the almighty CHEVY!! That PHR shootout was lame as the Ford guy seemed a bit lost as he is a small block guy and limited experence with the 460. The Edelbrock heads are a passenger replacement and not representitive of a decent Ford head. The Blackman[?] article is rather dated but then again so is the HRM article [April 1995-pg 60] I am referring to. The HRM 3 way build was simple: 520" maximum, 1-4bbl carb, had to run on pump gas and had to be built with readily available parts. Dyno tests were done running Unocal 92 oct. pum gas. Ford produced 813 HP @ 6800 RPMs and 682 ft/lbs torque @ 4900 RPMs. The heads used on the Ford were the 1st gen. FMS aluminum CJ heads and are now and have been for years considered obsolete. For the actual dyno comparason I'll need to find the issue of HRM that has the breakdown of the 3 engines that followed the build articles. Sorry Chevy guys...read it and weep. :cry: Chevy is no longer KING and a Ford brought it to its knees.

GofastRacer
    This is an old article and goes back to long before the current plethora of aftermarket parts were available for the 460. Lot's has changed since it was originally written, but if you want to see that way it used to be done, click HERE. (http://www.geocities.com/styleline58/540ford.html)
    LO
    And they are still around!...
    Fonse! (http://www.fonseperformance.com/)

dmontzsta
    If its the article I am thinking of, the above statement rings true. I think the Ford guy outspent the Chevy guy, and of course the Mopar was the most expensive.
    To quote my friend,
    "Why is it Chevy guys just drive their boats, Olds guys just drive their boats, Mopar guys just drive their boats (well, most of the time and get a lot of attention if its a hemi), but Ford guys can't shut up about how much better Fords are than the others."
    Note that he is knocking Ford guys, like they are trying to prove something :crossx: :wink:
    WHAT? OMG that is so far from the truth, IMO. EVERYWHERE I go it is always a chevy guy that makes the stupid comment "If you had chevy" or "Nice, but its not a chevy". ALWAYS!
    :rollside:

QuickJet
    Let's talk reality here. With little exception, Chevy powered boats clean house on the Ford powered boats. I'm not talking mega inch/ mega power boats, but rather your average weekend jetboat. Most mellow Chevy boats run 75-80 while the Fords run 60-65. Look through the boat trader or even in the spam section and you'll notice that not only are the Ford boats slower, their resale value pales in comparison to the Chevy boats. I know that there are a few fast Fords on the water, but for the most part, Cheverolet is dominating the lakes and rivers.
    As far as big inch/ big dollar engines go, pick whatever make you want. All can be made fast if your just writting a check to your engine builder.

jmherbert
    WHAT? OMG that is so far from the truth, IMO. EVERYWHERE I go it is always a chevy guy that makes the stupid comment "If you had chevy" or "Nice, but its not a chevy". ALWAYS!
    :rollside:
    Look at this thread, the Ford guys are the ones making nearly all the posts. It only reinforces his and my thoughts. I am a Chevy guy, its what I and most everyone else out there is used to, but I am also smart enough to realize that the power level of either of the motors is a factor of their size and how/what they are built up as. With the right parts, similar inch motors are going to make similar power, no matter what the original brand is. They both are pushrod, 2 valve engines.
    I betcha the main reason most of the high power motors are due to the fact there is simply a wider selection of parts available to the chevys; ie economies of scale . More Chevys were built, and face it, GM has had more performance enhancements available to the public. Look at crate motors available. Some of the better ones come from GM itself.

dmontzsta
    Let's talk reality here. With little exception, Chevy powered boats clean house on the Ford powered boats. I'm not talking mega inch/ mega power boats, but rather your average weekend jetboat. Most mellow Chevy boats run 75-80 while the Fords run 60-65. Look through the boat trader or even in the spam section and you'll notice that not only are the Ford boats slower, their resale value pales in comparison to the Chevy boats. I know that there are a few fast Fords on the water, but for the most part, Cheverolet is dominating the lakes and rivers.
    As far as big inch/ big dollar engines go, pick whatever make you want. All can be made fast if your just writting a check to your engine builder.
    I wont even comment on this, cause I like you.
    What you said can basically be used another way to. It is like saying "jet boats dominate V-Drives, cause there is more of them". It all boils down to HP, there are more chevys, which means there are more people bolting in easy HP.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast