Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford vers Chevy

dmontzsta
    Now that we have settled on specs, who wants to pay for it all?
    I say use a stock crank too, but allow stroking. That way we can see which manufacturer is the strongest, we all know which crank will not snap.

QuickJet
    To keep it all real, build whatever engine you want and limit each motor not to cubes but to allowable dollars. Give each guy 5 grand to spend on whatever. Then run each motor in 1 boat changing only mounts and headers. See who runs the number in a real world situation and not in some dyno room. Run it in a jet or a V-Drive.

LakesOnly
    Well, 058, looks like this idea has finally come to its time. :idea:
    Introducing the birth of the:
    HB FORUM MASTERS ENGINE CONTEST
    Rather than everyone start kicking around random ideas at this point on this thread, I'll put together some rules over this weekend that will more or less parallel this year's Engine Master's contest, except that the rules here will be slightly lower level, "stock block in modified form" guidelines.
    Early next week, I'll start a new thread here in the Gearheads Section and lay out some "baseline" guidelines and rules. I will also offer up some optional guidelines that we can all discuss together here on the Forum and then decide which may (or may not) serve as a substitute for the equivalent "baseline" rule (such as stock rods vs. any steel rod, or .030" overbore max vs. 468 cubes max, etc.)
    There is no use randomly spittin' out ideas here. The new thread starts next week.
    Let the games begin!
    LO

To keep it all real, build whatever engine you want and limit each motor not to cubes but to allowable dollars. Give each guy 5 grand to spend on whatever. Then run each motor in 1 boat changing only mounts and headers. See who runs the number in a real world situation and not in some dyno room. Run it in a jet or a V-Drive.So whats that prove? Whats wrong with dyno numbers? $5K is doable but there has to be some parity...same displacement, pump gas, 1 x 4bbl...how simple can it be? If you want do do unlimited displacement it ahellofalot easier to do a Ford than a Chevy. No aftermarket blocks, no tall decks, just factory passenger car parts, etc...be careful what you wish for as you are just making it easier for the Ford. :crossx:

QuickJet
    So whats that prove? Whats wrong with dyno numbers? $5K is doable but there has to be some parity...same displacement, pump gas, 1 x 4bbl...how simple can it be? If you want do do unlimited displacement it ahellofalot easier to do a Ford than a Chevy. No aftermarket blocks, no tall decks, just factory passenger car parts, etc...be careful what you wish for as you are just making it easier for the Ford. :crossx:
    If for 5 grand you can make a Ford out power Chevy and Mopar, then the Ford would win as more bang for the buck. To get real results I would put no limitations on anything. If for 5 grand you can buy an aftermarket block and still afford all the accessories to go with it (carbs t-ram headers cam etc) then so be it. I personally don't think any of the big 3 can beat a Chevy for 5 grand.
    How much is left in the till after you stroke a Ford to 557 Cubes. Will you still be able to afford the heads required to fead the big inch beast or are you left with piece of shit fatory Dove heads.
    The only limitation would be the money because let's face it, in the real world, that's what limits us all.

YeLLowBoaT
    How much is left in the till after you stroke a Ford to 557 Cubes.
    Thats only about 2k for everything inculding the flex plate and damper. With name brand stuff.( all new)
    It really does not cost any more for a ford roating asym then it does a chevy.
    The only real diff between ford and chevy when it comes to stroker kits is, the ford can go bigger. Other then that they are basicly the same.

waterloged
    Chevy's are like belly buttons everyone has one!

QuickJet
    Chevy's are like belly buttons everyone has one!
    Yup, and like a belly button you look real weird if you don't have one.
    Hey, if you can build a big inch Ford from scratch and fire it up for 5 grand, way to go. However if it costs 2 grand for rotating assembly, I don't think the thing is going to fire up on another 3 grand. Does the 2 grand include the block work?
    Real world is starting from nothing but a stock dirty engine from either an LTD (Ford) a Suburban (Chevrolet) or a Polaris wagon (mopar). these are just examples. Now you have 5 grand to get it in your boat and fired up.
    Taking everything into account....who would win?
    I'm a Chevy guy.............show me some combos and convert me.

The only limitation would be the money because let's face it, in the real world, that's what limits us all.Speak for yourself.

I'm sure we can all find a dyno test that'll favor your engine of choice. Since that is all we have at this point thats all we have to go on. Enginemasters might be a close comparison but keep in mind all these engines were built for that specific purpose and little else. All these engines ran on the ragged edge of detonation and were set up for dyno use only. So do we compare based on Enginemasters, PHR, HRM or BMFD? Who knows. This pissing contest will go on until the end of time. Personally I'd like to see a 3 way build using iron passenger car heads, 1 x 4 BBL, .030" max. overbore for cleanup only, stock stroke and a flat tappet cam, all run on pump gas out of the same drum. Use a Enginemasters format from 3000 rpm to 6500 or 7000 rpm. HP and torque both count equally for scoring. By using iron pass. heads and a basiclly a stock short block that would be the best represenative of a true Chevy, Ford and Mopar.
    This has been done in NHRA Stock Eliminator for decades. Unfortunately, Chevy, Mopar and the rest are way off the pace. The FORD 427 MR SINGLE 4V Engine dominates--- and has for a LONG time. It has the field covered by 2-3 tenths. When you're running 9.90 at 130 mph in stock trim, THAT is a lot of power. The engines(Ford, Chevy, Mopar, Olds, Buick, AMC etc) are torn down to ensure they are legal, STOCK(built according to factory specs) engines. This is a no brainer, with the Ford's making 50-70 more hp in stock trim. OH YES, for you guys that want to stand up and cheer for the SS/A and SS/AA LS Chevies and Hemi's, the Ford's can't compete. YOU SEE, THEY HAVE TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER FOR THE TOP CLASSES. IT WOULDN'T BE FAIR ACCORDING, TO NHRA. RR
    I'm just a pawn in the game of life...........

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast