Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: single or dual plane manifold?

kachina_labala
    I have a 22' Kachina Lake boat with a 454. The previous owner put dual edelbrock quads and a small cam 510 lift 265 duration. The motor has the 325cc rectangle port heads but is otherwise stock. I have added lightning headers and had the pump done by mpd. I was going to add a small nitrous kit this year but dont have the time. To put the nitrous on I had to get a different manifold. The boat had a dual plane edelbrock dual quad manifold but the carbs were too close together for the nos plates. I ebayed a offy dual quad manifold that is a single plane that the carbs are further apart so I could put the plates on. I would like to use the offy so I can add the nitrous later. What issues can I expect changing from a split plane to a single plane? What carb tuning will I have to do? Should I just go back to the dual plane?
    Thanks
    Matthew

napabob
    Try:
    http://popularhotrodding.com/enginem...ake/index.html
    I have an Edelbrock Performer RPM 2-O (for oval port heads) dual plane and it fits into my RPM range (idel - 5500 RPM)

IMPATIENT 1
    I Had A 79 21ft. Taylor Sc Jet And It Liked The Rpm Intake Better, Ya Know Summit Racing Makes Rpm Air Gap Knock Offs Now That Are Cheaper Than Edelbrock.i Go With A Summit "rpm Air Gap" Style Intake For 200 Bucks, It'll Work Well For Ya.

kachina_labala
    Thanks for the info but the real question is can I run the offy without too much hastle and loss of driveability (able to add the nitro kit later) or should I go back to the edelbrock dual plane? I already own 3 dual quad manifolds and dont want to buy another. (third is a dual quad tunnel ram thats too tall to fit

bigblockbill
    All the software dyno programs I have ever ran tend to like a single plane over the dual plane at all rpm ranges for a single 4 bbl. I have switched all my boats to singles and picked up ~100 rpm. Never tried a dual carb setup however.

IMPATIENT 1
    All the software dyno programs I have ever ran tend to like a single plane over the dual plane at all rpm ranges for a single 4 bbl. I have switched all my boats to singles and picked up ~100 rpm. Never tried a dual carb setup however.
    YOUR RITE, I'VE DONE THE SAME.ON THE SC I HAD, IT CAME WITH A VICTOR INTAKE THAT HAD SOME YRS. ON IT, I HAD A NEW RPM SETTING THAT I TRADED FOR SO I TRIED IT OUT. THE BOAT HAD MORE BALLS TO GET MOVING AND RAN BETTER ON TOP WITH THE RPM THAN THE VICTOR.IT GPS'D 62MPH ON THE VICTOR AND 65.3MPH ON THE RPM, BUT THAT COULD HAVE BEEN LAKE CONDITIONS TOO.JUST FROM THE "SEAT-O-PANTS" THE RPM FELT BETTER.

TopCat
    single plane hav a better performance curve & top end/// dual plane work better at idle and at low to mid range rpm. It depends on what you're going to use your boat forundefined

rerfert
    I was always told the single plane intakes were more for higher rpm ranges rather than idle conditions...You use your nitrous shot on the upper rpm range,SO the single plane intake would have less air restriction to the heads...well that is the way I see it.
    With nitrous I would run a single plane manifold.

kachina_labala
    I was also reading that the single plane was more for high rmp. My concern is how much trouble will i have in everyday lake situations?

kachina_labala
    Well, After changing the intake I gained 400 rpm at the top but I now have a over heating / water flow problem. Since its the first time out this year im not sure where the problem is coming from. I added roller rockers, a new intake and had the pump refreshed from a little rock damage. now im melting exhaust hoses. The temp guage on the motor doesnt show the motor as hot (maybe a bad sending unit ?) but the intake manifold by the exhaust crossover (blocked off by the gasgets) is hot as hell and the exhaust hoses are melting. P U it stinks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast