Thread: Clunking sound

Speedin' Ian
    So my brother and I are looking at a 97 Nighthawk... it's a beautiful closed bow with a blown 468 and Bravo 1. The boat is very clean, but a couple things concerned me when we listened to it run. First off it had a little blow by out of the valve covers, now it had been about a year since he had it out so that may be normal. The other thing that concerned me was a sparatic clunking... I'm about 90% sure it was coming from the outdrive... probably the gimble and I think it may have been becaause the drive was trimmed a little to high, or it could be that it needs some lube... Then again it could be going out.
    So what do you guys think??
    Also I think I could get this thing for about 25k... I have about half that in cash. Is there anyone that would finance the rest on a nine year old boat, or would I have to use the equity line?

BadKachina
    It could be anything, (the clunking), but check to see if it has internal flappers in the exhaust tips, or in the pipes somewhere. A lot of times they are pretty noisy and make some strange sounds or vibrations in the boat.

deltarat
    I also had a clunking sound in my engine for a while. What I found was the the pick up had fallen out of my oil pump and was rattling around in my oil pan.