Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring White Paint? Price to re-paint?

455Olds
    The old boat is starting to show her age. I suppose after 30-ish years you're allowed to show some wear, but I'd really like to make the white whiter and the blue brighter... (sounds like a laundry soap advertisement) Anyhow, does anyone have any good tricks, or know of some good rubbing compound products to make yellow-ed gelcoat look white again? How much am I looking at just to bring it in and have it sprayed?

'75 Miller
    I wetsanded, buffed , then polished my Miller (30 years old), and had very good results. Here's the steps taken & products used:
    wet sand 1200, 1500, then 2000 grit. Next, using a 7" variable speed sander/ polisher with foam pad applicator and 3m "perfect-it 3000" liquid rubbing compound buff all necessary areas. I did the whole top of mine. Next I used a softer foam pad and 3m "perfect-it II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze". Lastly, a couple coats of your favorite wax & you should be good. A foam pad on a random orbital sander works good, or by hand.
    Matt

DUCKY
    Miller's process is very similar to what I do at the shop. If it's REALLY bad, I start with 600grit, but I doubt yours is that bad. Go for 1000 grit and then 1500 and buff with 3M "Premium Gelcoat Compound" with a med knap white wool pad, light pressure and about 2500 RPM. If you want a super fine finish, you can then use one of 3M's waffle face foam pads and the above mentioned Perfect IT 3000, but stay away from the corners/edges with the foam pad as they build a lot of heat. Then to protect it you can use 3M's final glaze with a grey waffle foam pad at low speed. I don't recommend the use of "wax" on gelcoat, especially white, as gelcoat is porous and will absorb what you put on it. What ever you choose to finish with just make sure it does not contain carnuba. There are lots of wax and silicone free synthetic polishes available now days.
    PS, to have it sprayed, don't even consider it unless your finish is just torn to hell. Also, you mentioned paint... Is your boat painted or original gel? If it's paint, just sand it with 2000 grit and buff (lightly) with the Perfect it.

centerhill condor
    the guy wanted $1500 to paint the top of mine... but that was before $80 oil!

455Olds
    I'm trying the wet sand method. Started with 1200 grit and have since dropped to the aforementioned 600 because it was taking soooooooo long to remove the yellowed gel. Do you have any pointers to speed the process? Have tried a 6" DA sander, but it seems hand sanding is as fast or faster. Has taken upwards of four hours to go about 3-4 feet. And that section is only 4 inches wide....

victorfb
    it almost sounds like you are sanding an old clear coat (paint). take some 600 dry and sand just enough to fill the paper, then smell it. gel has a much stronger oder, smells like resin,very distinct. odds are if its that old and been in your possesion for years, its most likey gel. clear paint doesnt last that long. but normally a quik sand of the gel removes the yellowing surface. id make sure which one you have first.

455Olds
    I am nearly positive that it is gel coat. But a quick sand might be a little of an understatement. Dry sanding clogs the paper and wet sanding take forever... but she sure looks nice where I've done so far.

victorfb
    what i meant by taking some dry and a quik sand is just that. a few strokes just to get some on the paper so you can smell it. if it is gel you will smell the resin oder. if its paint it will smell like wet paint. it just seems unuseuall that you cant get the yellow out of the gel without sanding for hours with 600. how much material are you removing to get the white to come clean?

'75 Miller
    If the 1200 is taking forever then by all means switch to the 600. If you have to you can use 400 or even 320 wet. Just know that the more grit you use the more micro scratches you'll need to sand out with the following grits. When I gelled my interior surfaces I didn't bother to mask off the deck. Consequently there was a bunch of overspray that easily wetsanded off starting with 320 wet.
    I didn't use my DA or random orbital on the wetsanding. Tried to, but both seemed to leave small circular scratches behind. All by hand. Hours of fun!
    Matt

455Olds
    what i meant by taking some dry and a quik sand is just that. a few strokes just to get some on the paper so you can smell it. if it is gel you will smell the resin oder. if its paint it will smell like wet paint. it just seems unuseuall that you cant get the yellow out of the gel without sanding for hours with 600. how much material are you removing to get the white to come clean?
    I knew what you meant. And yes, it smells like resin.
    And it is working with the 600... it was even working with the 1200, just slower. It's just a tedious process. I may opt to try the 320.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast