Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheetah Boats Light Layup??

Stiletto24
    Cheetah laying up there boats light around 1998 to 2000 to save mfg costs???
    I own a 2000 Stiletto 24.
    I was wondering if any one here has heard about this?
    A friend of mine was telling me that there were 2 boats that he heard of that actully cracked in the bow area and sunk from a light layup process?
    I have inspected every inch of my boat, So far so good.
    If any one here knows if there is any truth to this rumor I would appreciate it.

vegas30cat
    punch the hull...does it flex?
    My old stars/stripes 29' was solid as a frickin' rock and spent LOTS of time in the ocean, and thus in the air...had ZERO issues.
    oops, dicudmore here...guess I'm logged on as the boss

RiverDave
    Last year there was in fact a cheetah that broke in half (from the story) and sunk out in some rough water in Havasu. The guy driving wasn't the boat owner and apparently took it without his permission.
    RD

Stiletto24
    So it was not a rumor,
    Do you know if it was manufacturing issues or driver issues?
    The hull is feels solid at speed. No flexing bowing when I press on it.

jayd_jr
    Your boat is fine....If you like it and have fun thats what matters.... There have been all makes and models of boats that have broken apart...

BigDoug
    I too have a 1992 24 cheetah with a wind shield around the cowling, it's a little different from most, my boat is very solid, im 6' 3" and weigh 295, my bow does not flex what so ever when i walk on the deck !!!

vmjtc3
    Not to many boats will hold up to spearing a wake wfo.....
    nothing wrong with the layup of the hull, something wrong with the operator..............

Beer-30
    So it was not a rumor,
    Do you know if it was manufacturing issues or driver issues?
    The hull is feels solid at speed. No flexing bowing when I press on it.
    It was NOT mfg. It was a simple fact of stuffing the nose at WOT in 4' rollers. You can tell by the aftermath that the boat's bow was ripped away from the nose area. Very few boats can do that stunt and live to shine another day. This one just happened to be a Cheetah. There was also a pic of a Cheetah FastCat deck boat parked on the side of a hill at Havasu. Other than the outdrive being obviously torn-up, the boat looked intact. I doubt it was as good as it looked, but it was still in one piece. That's a pretty good test.
    There are so many Cheetahs running around that are just fine in any type of water. I would call that one a rumor. They are not going to risk losing their entire 40-sum-odd-year business on a few light layups. They build those boats IN Havasu FOR Havasu, so they know the pounding each boat will most likely receive. I fully believe that they build accordingly.
    Just when I thought this place was calming down a little, the rumors start flying.
    Like Dicudmore said, just thump around on the hull in the hard-hit areas and see if it flexes or otherwise sounds weak. I am sure you would find it is plenty solid.

Daytona100
    I too have a 1992 24 cheetah with a wind shield around the cowling, it's a little different from most, my boat is very solid, im 6' 3" and weigh 295, my bow does not flex what so ever when i walk on the deck !!!
    Just let BigDoug walk around on the deck. Sounds like a pretty bulletproof test!!!!

vmjtc3
    And just to let you know how I feel about them I am picking up my new fast cat 24 next weekend. I have been in them in some good havasu and mead chop and they are solid. As Dan said after 5 or 6 trips out in big blue his cx29 was soild.
    I also own a carrera 27' cyclone and it is solid as a rock . The cheetah is not layed up as heavy as the carrera but it is still solid. I was checking out the advantage deckboats and from doing some tapping on them they seem to have a lighter layup then the cheetah, And I have never heard of a advantage breaking up. Some times cheetah gets a bad rap beacause of the price of the boat. But some things to remember about Cheetah, 1 no dealerships to make a profit 2 Bob owns his buildings and property so he has low overhead. Just beacause his price is low does not mean the quality of the boat is low. On any given weekend i bet you could find at least 10 or 15 cheetah's on the water. If there was a real problem with the boat's there would be far more boats comming apart than the one I have heard about.
    Just my .02 c...............

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast