Thread: Cam Selection

mickeyfinn
    Okay...hopefully this is the last major question I will have before getting the boat wet this year. I am in the process of putting the engine together for my boat. It is a Chevy 402 punched .60 running 10.5 to 1 pistons. I want to turn around 5500 rpms. I would like to keep hydraulic lifters so I think that limits me somewhat on the amount of lift I can run. Can someone post some specs for me to run including lobe seperation and centerline specifications that will help to prevent reversion and getting the water sucked back into the cylinders.

GofastRacer
    How bout this one?.
    Crane

Kindsvater Flat
    Just call any of the cam manufacturers and they will give a recommendation based on your engine specs and what you plan on doing with it. I called erson and they gave me mine. Plus it doesn't cost anymore for a custom grind.

mickeyfinn
    What should I look for in the way of lobe separation and centerline to avoid reversion?

comp cams tech line sucked when i called. it must have been close to lunch time when i called both times. guy picked a cam for me in about 20 seconds. the first guy blew me off and the second guy picked a different cam out. ???? i didnt go with comp cams to say the least.

Kindsvater Flat
    I use erson. I just leave a message and they call me back. Usually about 30 minutes by the time you tell all the info. He even asked about prop, gear and hull weight.