Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Race fuel ?'s

bear down
    If I need to run 110 Octane fuel can I cheat and use a 50/50 mix of AV Gas and race Fuel or Premium unleaded. I heard that AV gas is pretty cheap at the airports vs. $6.00 + per gallon at other locations. I heard that AV Gas is very dry but the premium fuel will compensate for that. Any words of wisdom would be great. Thanks!

E-mail this guy. . . rmbuilder@rochester.rr.com hell send you some articles on AV gas and why what you want to do is not a good idea.

superdave013
    when I ran VP-C16 the way I looked at it was the cheepest part in that engine was the gas. Nothing else in your engine costs 6 bucks or less. Just part of it or you need to lower some compression.

LakesOnly
    If your only concern is cost and anti-detonation, I think it works fine. Realize it's a different animal than race gas, though, so...
    I prefer it over pump gas for sure and have run hundreds of gallons through my milder jet boat (lake boat) motor. Doesn't cost much more than pump gas premium, which is essentially cat piss where I live...
    Here is a link to an old thread: Click Here (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...ighlight=mogas)
    LO

Paul I added that to the tech links thread so it can be found easily

Norseman
    If your only concern is cost and anti-detonation, I think it works fine. Realize it's a different animal than race gas, though, so...
    I prefer it over pump gas for sure and have run hundreds of gallons through my milder jet boat (lake boat) motor. Doesn't cost much more than pump gas premium, which is essentially cat piss where I live...
    Here is a link to an old thread: Click Here (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...ighlight=mogas)
    LO
    I've run a lot of HighTest /AV gas mix in street rods over the years. When I took them to the track I always ran Race gas, and yes it makes a difference!!
    As an FYI it's not a good idea to let your insurance company, wife or neighbors know you have 55 gal drums of race gas in the garage!!
    Bob

Snowboat
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Av gas is 100LL, or 100 octane low lead. If you need 110, you're not going to be close. Regarding all of the pros and cons, how could you tell a difference? I understand about the additives and altitude, but how could you tell, as long as there wasn't any detonation?

TIMINATOR
    What are you running it in? I have run 7 second dragsters, 8 sec, and a zillion 9 second street/strip cars on straight AV-gas. I run the current TIMINATOR Daytona on AV when I am beating on it, and 50-50 in the other tank. I run a 565 BBC, ported Dart 360s,big solid roller,14-71 BDS Delta discharge blower, 2 1050s, Superchiller, etc, etc. oh yeah 11 lbs boost. It runs fine. TIMINATOR

cyclone
    i've been buying drums of vp110 for less than 6 bucks a gallon. why bother mixing av gas with 91 octane if it costs more?

djdtpr
    when I ran VP-C16 the way I looked at it was the cheepest part in that engine was the gas. Nothing else in your engine costs 6 bucks or less. Just part of it or you need to lower some compression.
    DITTO!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast