Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any 1 kno what size bit and tap I need to...

YeLLowBoaT
    Drill and retap my bowl end cap? I have tried every thing I know. I even broke the one of the the halfs of the groove off.
    That or any 1 have in great ideas?

CARLSON-JET
    I read the other post. You still have 1/2 of the head so all hope is not lost. add a little heat a few times. shoot it with some pen. oil after each heat session.. next is the small ball peen hammer and the punch or cold chisel. keep working it back and forth evenly. It is just a little tight from he corrosion. give it a chance to break free. patience mang,.... patience. R.B.

YeLLowBoaT
    I read the other post. You still have 1/2 of the head so all hope is not lost. add a little heat a few times. shoot it with some pen. oil after each heat session.. next is the small ball peen hammer and the punch or cold chisel. keep working it back and forth evenly. It is just a little tight from he corrosion. give it a chance to break free. patience mang,.... patience. R.B.
    Been there done that. :cry: I went thru 1 1/2 tanks of map, 1 can of lube, a flat bar and a old file... I even tried drilling a tap for a revers thread 1/2 bolt, but all it did was strip out.... :cry: Hell I even treid a impact wrench.
    I don't know what else to do. :cry:

Ken F
    >I don't know what else to do. <
    Well, then take it to a machine shop and have them drill it out to a size where you can tap it then put in a steel insert.
    Ken F

SmokinLowriderSS
    >I don't know what else to do. <
    Well, then take it to a machine shop and have them drill it out to a size where you can tap it then put in a steel insert.
    Ken F
    Yep, I believe that is next.
    Dayum, I can't believe you are having that much trouble getting it out. Makes me wonder if it's just corrosion, or prev owner tightened the F### out of it with red locktite (271), and then corrosion/thread damage/seisure.

T-56
    An old and wise man turned me on to this one....
    When you heat it, bring it up to about 300 degrees. At that temp you're not hurting anything. Then, instead of using PB Blaster or WD, hit it w/ a candle. At those temps, parafin (candle wax) is thinner than methanol and will wick into EVERTHING. It's also great for threads that are starting to gauld up.
    I usually use this trick mostly on BBF 460 exhaust bolts/studs. Anyone who messes w/ those already knows what a PITA they are.
    Doesn't always work, but it's kept me off the Bridgeport more often than not.
    $0.02...

YeLLowBoaT
    yeah I tried the candle trick. I never really could get the AL cap up to temp. I even tried preheating the pump with some naptha( on fire of corse). The map was just not cutting it. I was afraid to use the oxy with it. I have never had this much prob with any nut/bolt/cap.... normally I just whip out the drill/nut spliter when it this bad.
    The pump litterly did not move for 17 years.( try finding a reverse rotation starter for a pontiac with modified ford nose cone....)

wsuwrhr
    Bring it by, you can do it yourself, if you want to, or Ill do it for you.
    Quite a drive though.
    Brian

YeLLowBoaT
    It only took 2 other ppl, a 12 foot long steel tube and my 24 lb dead blow.
    http://images6.theimagehosting.com/Web DSCN0121.jpg
    2 guys that live up the street( one is a big time welder/fab guy from a shop that does sub stuff for the navy) came by to see what all the bang was about.( me trying with brutha and my 4' pipe.) After a few mins of talking to them. One went home and came back with the tube. In the end it took 2 ppl pushing and about 10 good swings of "burtha" to break it free.
    Oh yeah it pulled my work bench away from the wall about 3" on one side.
    Take that you mother fooker. :crossx:

CARLSON-JET
    Good job. R.B.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast