Thread: Impeller questions

'78 gt boat
    I'm a total noob at this so pardon my stupidity... I'm tryin to learn here. How do I check to see what impeller I'm running without taking anything apart? what should I be running.... I'm sure it has to do with what pump and what horsepower I'm running. A little help here please??

Wicked Performance Boats
    You can guess from how many RPM your turning and guess how much horsepower you got,BUT the only real way to know is to take it apart and look on the back side of the impeller. I say if it works ok, don't worry till it needs rebuilding. Don't lose the boating season! Budlight

'78 gt boat
    Thanks for the info. You are right if it aint broke don't fix it. I would like to have the most performance for the buck. I was on the Berkley website and it recommends a stainless impeller A2 or A based on 400hp @ 4800rpm. It's a JC pump which is no race pump but it will do. What do you think of the other parts out there ie: sport loader scoops, rudders and stuff like that.

Wicked Performance Boats
    I don't have a rudder, but loader grates, if they are the correct ones are great and I like droops too. And last but not least Place diverters are a great asset too. Budlight

El Prosecutor
    Thanks for the info. You are right if it aint broke don't fix it. I would like to have the most performance for the buck. I was on the Berkley website and it recommends a stainless impeller A2 or A based on 400hp @ 4800rpm. It's a JC pump which is no race pump but it will do. What do you think of the other parts out there ie: sport loader scoops, rudders and stuff like that.
    Rudders are great eBay items - I bought one on eBay, used it a while, then sold it on eBay. It was a great rudder, it is just that in all honesty rudders don't really do much on a jet boat.

How do I check to see what impeller I'm running without taking anything apart? :
    Unfortunatly you have to take the transom adapter off, then pull the bowl off to MEASURE the impeller. The letter stamped on the back of the impeller means nothing as it may have been cut down in its lifetime.
    Im surprised berkeley suggested a stainless impeller for 400 hp, not necassary at all. The A or AA is fine.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yep cs, Berk only reccomends the Al imps for under 400 HP and something like 4700 RPM (don't recall exactly).
    I would run an "A", and honestly, once you get up arround or above 400HP, I'd go bronze. About $400 cheaper, every bit as strong, equal performance, just not as able to shrug off rocks as the S.Steel is. You don't want to pump rocks now man, come-on.
    The AA will give you more low rpm pull, but usually cost you some top end. For a fun lake boat, the A seems to be the best all-arround size.
    And lastly, yea, cs is rigfht that the only way to be SURE of the size is to measure it. Only thing needed to resize one is a metal lathe. If it wasn't re-marked after being cut, then the orriginal stamping will be wrong.

'78 gt boat
    Unfortunatly you have to take the transom adapter off, then pull the bowl off to MEASURE the impeller. The letter stamped on the back of the impeller means nothing as it may have been cut down in its lifetime.
    Im surprised berkeley suggested a stainless impeller for 400 hp, not necassary at all. The A or AA is fine.
    I'm not sure why but here is the info from Berkeley for the 12JC pump:
    POWER REQUIREMENTS: Approximately 10 to 27 pounds gross boat weight requires 1 HP. Higher or lower speeds will be obtained as gross weight varies. Weight distribution, hull length and design are other factors affecting total boat performance. The standard aluminum alloy impeller is used with engines up to 400 HP; over 400 HP, a stainless steel impeller is recommended.
    I will have to check it out further, thanks for all of the great advice as I try to make my little Spectra as fast as I can afford :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: