Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: uh oh starter

YeLLowBoaT
    DON'T HIT IT WITH A HAMMER
    You can de-magnitize or break the magnets. now if your planing on replacing the starter very soon( ie trying to get home) its ok. Just realize that if you do( ether of the 2 above) you will not be able to rebuild the starter.

Dan Lorenze
    I didn't realize that the Hammer trick was bad for the starter. I once had a starter for more than 10 years, I'd hit with a hammer to free it up once in a while.

Big Kahunaa
    dont hit it hard with a hammer

Legal Chemistry
    just as maustin said, sometimes you can pull the starter out and clean up the planitary (sp?) gears in there and they are as good as new. hope that helps.

boats&bars
    thanks guys I will pull it tonight and post the findings tomorrow

Just curious how everybody deals with the 2 bolts when they change starters. With my BBC the bolts come in from the bottom and need to be in place before I put the starter in the boat as it's so close to the bottom of the hull it wont allow the long bolts to be installed after the fact...........
    Oh wise ones, what's the trick.

Big Kahunaa
    Just curious how everybody deals with the 2 bolts when they change starters. With my BBC the bolts come in from the bottom and need to be in place before I put the starter in the boat as it's so close to the bottom of the hull it wont allow the long bolts to be installed after the fact...........
    buy a ford they are easy (wise ass out)

buy a ford they are easy (wise ass out)
    I knew somebody was gonna say that while I was typing my question. Thanks for not disappointing....

73WriedtCustom
    just as maustin said, sometimes you can pull the starter out and clean up the planitary (sp?) gears in there and they are as good as new. hope that helps.
    Planetary gears. Someone was brain-storming when they came up with that idea...
    http://www.dliengineering.com/vibman/planetarygears.htm
    I'm not sure about they're usage in electrical starter motors.
    Was it an engineer for Cadillac who first developed the electrical starter motor?
    I like to use wire or straightened paperclips to hold those damn'ed springs open when I re-assemble starters...
    Mark

boater012
    Im giving away one of my secrets here but I have put more starters on than i care to remember. Insert the starter bolts into the starter and get yourself two small diameter rubber o-rings. Slide them down the threaded side of the bolt and roll them to the very bottom against the starter. when you put the starter in the hole the o-rings keep the bolts from falling out. Simply start the bolts and tighten them up. (when you tighten the bolts the o-rings disintegrate or get forced into the starter housing) I have done this for years and never had a problem!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12