Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 460 Ford oil galley plugs?

Moneypitt
    Very informative post about the right and wrong plugs to use. Seems to me that a simple, "Dilbert proof" method would have been to use only tapered end plugs throughout the engine from the factory. Sure they cost a little more than the standard flat ones, but it has to less than .50 cents an engine. Again, I learned something here, good post..........MP

PETEROC
    Well I finally got to the front gallery plugs. By pure luck I had the correct conical one in place! We are replacing the dist. gear damaged Crane roller cam with an Isky roller cam. Had to stop working last night when I discovered the Isky cam is threaded for a smaller 3/8 standard thread bolt to hold the timing sprocket/fuel pump concentric while the Crane had a 7/16 fine thread bolt. Will the larger 7/16 hole in the fuel pump concentric be a problem with the 3/8 bolt, or will I need to get one with the 3/8 hole , if available ?

LakesOnly
    Very informative post about the right and wrong plugs to use. Seems to me that a simple, "Dilbert proof" method would have been to use only tapered end plugs throughout the engine from the factory. Sure they cost a little more than the standard flat ones, but it has to less than .50 cents an engine. Again, I learned something here, good post..........MPWhy thank you Moneypitt; I'm flattered. :smile:
    Yes, I agree it might have been easier to use the pointy-nosed plug in all those block oiling holes...there are, however, standard 3/8" NP Tplugs everywhere in the world and perhaps having both types in the block might itself be a flag to those assembling that he might want to ascertain where those speical plugs are needed...I dunno.
    LO

LakesOnly
    We are replacing the dist. gear damaged Crane roller cam with an Isky roller cam. Had to stop working last night when I discovered the Isky cam is threaded for a smaller 3/8 standard thread bolt to hold the timing sprocket/fuel pump concentric while the Crane had a 7/16 fine thread bolt. Will the larger 7/16 hole in the fuel pump concentric be a problem with the 3/8 bolt, or will I need to get one with the 3/8 hole , if available ?I think it would be a good idea to have the fuel pump eccentric perfectly centered on the cam bolt so that the pumping action is not exaggerated (or minimized) due to being off center. We have plenty of fuel pump eccentrics with the oem standard 3/8" hole of you need one.
    LO

PETEROC
    Thanks LakesOnly for the offer of the concentric. No time to get it from you; big lake trip Friday. I went to Ford dealer and a local speed shop yesterday. No luck. Ford dealership parts guy says no 460 stuff anymore, "everything is modular". Since were are going to the lake Friday I got an ARP 3/8" bolt/washer kit. Torqued it to 45 Ft. Lbs. with blue locktite. Son and I stayed up till 12:30 a.m. last night putting it back together. I'm getting too old for this all night stuff!

PETEROC
    Opps !! I mean Eccentric!! (I thought that was what people thought I was!!!)
    :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

Moneypitt
    Opps !! I mean Eccentric!! (I thought that was what people thought I was!!!)
    :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
    No, not eccentric, you're just a little strange, like the rest of us............MP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12