Thread: stress cracks

*NAPALM*
    starting to put the boat togather for summer and was going to wait on this but there is a lot of strees cracks on the floor just a few along the stringers.
    The laminant i guess thats what you call it seems to bee cracking out it is a 69 sanger i imagine it has never been refinished but mine seems to be on thicker than most boats looks like hell to refinish what is involved in the whole process?
    thanks
    SHERMAN!

Ian
    Funny you should ask because I just had my floor refinished by Billy B. First off you need to take everything out of your boat, all the hardware, seats etc., then you send it to a professional and have them flo the floor. The finished product is amazing, we went ahead and had all our hardware powdercoated and replaced a lot of the nuts, bolts and washers while it was apart.
    Here is a link to our boat after we refloed the floor
    http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/ultima...c;f=8;t=002102
    [ March 13, 2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Ian ]

*NAPALM*
    they do all the work for you take it down to bare wood?
    what about does it run to get it all done and how long?
    thanks for the info.
    SHERMAN!

*NAPALM*
    it is completly stripped the reason i want to do it is i have heard if it cracks by the stringers it can get under the coating and ruin the wood it makes sence too me.
    That is impressive looks better than new.
    Im sending the cav plate to be powder coated it has to many pits and doesnt look as good as i wanted polished gets pricey though good luck getting her back togather man looks great.
    SHERMAN

Ian
    On my boat I stripped out all the hardware and knocked down the glaze on the floor with Eighty grit, after that I brought it down to Billy B and we masked it off and he flowed it. There is no runs in ours, but it helps that we had it done by the best in the buisness! If you can see any runs in your floor then you need to get those out before you have it refloed. I didn't have any major cracks, but I did have a few small that he just sprayed over. It is definately a good ides to do it, like you said if you get any water under the glass it doesn't take long to ruin the wood

Sherm,
    I am in the middle of doing exactly what you are thinking of doing, Here's the procces I am following.
    I am grinding through the resin & some of the mat. I also had cracks by the stringers. I am grinding down until the cracks are gone. I am pretty much done with the grinding. In doing this I filled my shop vac up twice with fiberglass pillings. I have also ground & sanded the floor flat. If this is not done it will look terrible when you start to put it back together. Next I will be putting down a layer of fiberglas mat. Then doing a resin pour to smooth out the mat. Then I will paint the stringers & the center section. If the Balsa floor looks good I am ready to do the flo-coat Ian was talking about. If the balsa deosn't look good it a long story.
    Essentialy it's a SH*^T load of work that is no fun, but the payoff is huge. I'm thinking if you don't get the cracks out they will come back through the flo-coat.
    Good luck.
    Morg

WILDERTHANU54
    HEY *NAPALM* I THOUGHT THIS WAS CLASSIC IN YOUR PROFILE UNDER INTERESTS IT READS AND I QUOTE "BOATS,BEER,BITCHES,BURRITOS".......LOL

*NAPALM*
    thats my modo i should put burritos before bitches though.you can live with burritos . you can live without women i know this man.
    thanks
    SHERMAN