Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LBZ Duramax's Whos happy whos not?

cactusgolfcarts
    Recommendations for gauges(egt, boost, etc.)?? Do you like the pillar or overhead?

casean
    I earely if ever see the 900's. Usually I am in 6 and 700's.
    Is this on an LBZ, LLY or LB7 motor? I can easily see EGT's in the low 1300's with our LLY This is with full 4" turbo back exhaust and the Edge/Attitude on level 2.

sigepmock
    Is this on an LBZ, LLY or LB7 motor? I can easily see EGT's in the low 1300's with our LLY This is with full 4" turbo back exhaust and the Edge/Attitude on level 2.
    Most diesels will run in the 1200 EGT's on Pre-Turbo EGT's. 900 is nothing. LLY, LBZ, or LB7 they all run EGT's in 1200 range from the factory.
    Anything over 1300 for long periods of time is bad. Since aluminum starts to break down/melt above 1300 it's probably best to stay in 1200 range with occational 1300 bursts.
    Just my $.02,
    Chris

casean
    Most diesels will run in the 1200 EGT's on Pre-Turbo EGT's. 900 is nothing. LLY, LBZ, or LB7 they all run EGT's in 1200 range from the factory.
    Anything over 1300 for long periods of time is bad. Since aluminum starts to break down/melt above 1300 it's probably best to stay in 1200 range with occational 1300 bursts.
    Just my $.02,
    Chris
    I agree completely about keeping the EGT's out of the 1300 range. I will always back out of the throttle or down shift to bring up the boost when I start getting close to that number. Plus I have the Attitude setup to defuel at 1300 degrees. Have you installed the Fingers boost stick? It's on my list of things to try, especially if it helps to get the EGT's down a little.
    So you think the 900 degrees he's seeing is post turbo? I know allot of times shops will install the pyrometer after the turbo, which IMO is not a good idea. Honestly the stock LLY trucks must be running EGT's close to the 1500's. Especially if we're seeing 1300's with our turbo back setups.

sigepmock
    I agree completely about keeping the EGT's out of the 1300 range. I will always back out of the throttle or down shift to bring up the boost when I start getting close to that number. Plus I have the Attitude setup to defuel at 1300 degrees. Have you installed the Fingers boost stick? It's on my list of things to try, especially if it helps to get the EGT's down a little.
    So you think the 900 degrees he's seeing is post turbo? I know allot of times shops will install the pyrometer after the turbo, which IMO is not a good idea. Honestly the stock LLY trucks must be running EGT's close to the 1500's. Especially if we're seeing 1300's with our turbo back setups.
    No boost stick for me, any more than I have and I'd worry about the tranny. When I first installed the Pred v2.00 I was blown away with how high the EGT's were when I got on it....I was seeing 1400 way too easy. I uninstalled the programmer and ran the stock programming. With an all stock set-up I saw right around 1200 max...even on long grades. Granted I wasn't towing anything heavy. I think the stock tune is very conservative. Even after I ditched the cat and added the intake and exhaust, with the stock tune it didn't make much difference. It did help with the newer Pred v 2.02 but the tune and added boost that came with it did most of the work.
    I really think most of the EGT numbers are determined by the tune, the exhaust and other goodies only help a little. I know the LLY's run a little warmer but I've never had an over heating issue. I think it's a crap shoot as to wether you get a hot one or not, just like the Ford 6.0L's.
    I have not heard of any issues yet with the LBZ's.

roln 20s
    Best investment (depreciating I know) that I have ever made. Its the quietest riding truck I've ever been in. The power is always there, nothing I tow or dish at it ever provides a challenge. I received mine from Jay around Thanksgiving last year (ordered it and waited 8 weeks) and already have nearly 30K miles...yes, I drive a lot I have a RCD 6" life, 20" MKWs on Toyo 325/60s, love everything about it--my friends all want to steal it
    Oh yeah, the g/f loves it to...feels special putting the boat in the water Whatever works.
    You can't go wrong -- join the LBZ club!!!
    http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...gatpowell2.jpg
    Roln 20s

franky
    lol just messin jay. nice truck, AND boat.
    I GOT IT RIGHT AWAY.

Love mine...got it last December nad I almost have 7K miles on it now....Alot quieter than any other diesel I've seen (I also had a Ford 6.0) and more power also....
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2670-1.jpg

stillgoin
    Gonna sound like a jacka$$ here, but how do you know if you have the LBZ? Just got a used '06, not sure if i have this. Otherwise, i love the truck. Went from 95 ext cab 1/2 ton Chev (pre-vortech) to 2500HD crew...you can imagine how happy i am with it.

sintax
    Look at the 8th digit in the VIN. A "D" will be the LBZ and a "2" will be an LLY.
    Well I finally sold my 04 GTO a few weeks back to some kid who'll likely kill himself. I picked up a cheap commuter car (94 honda civic vx, averaged 49mpg the last tank) and am going to be hunting for a truck in a week or two.
    Hopefully I wont waste anymore of Jay's time. Hopefully i'll have my new LBZ by next month.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast