Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I accidentally drove in 4x4 low mode all the way home

probablecause
    Question for all of you Ford transmission gurus: I accidentally drove all the way home in 4x4 low in my 99 Ford Powerstroke Diesel. Who knows how it got switched but that is all I know. So after realizing this, I have my wife drive the truck while I watch and the front drive shaft (4x4) is not spinning at all. I even switched back and forthe between 2x and 4x but the shaft does not spin. Is it toast or electronic where I only have to replace a fuse?

RiverDave
    If the car was already driving when the switch got flicked then odds are the light just came on and it didn't actually engage 4X4 Low. Believe me you would've known if it was actually engaged in "low" and 4x4, as Low will have a top speed wound out at roughly 30 - 45 MPH if I had to guess (Never really wound my truck out to find out how fast it goes in low) and if it's in 4x4 atleast in my Navi it locks all the diferentials as well making turning on Pavement a bitch.. You'll hear tire screeching, and shuttering etc.. etc..
    I can't attest for all Fords, but I know for atleast my truck you have to put the truck in Park (or maybe neutral?) and then flip the switch, you'll hear some noises going on in the running gear, and then you'll feel it engage everything. Then it's all locked up, to get it out of 4x4 mode you have to again put it in Park (or neutral?) and flip the switch back the other way to normal, and you'll hear it all disenage. If the switch is flipped but that didn't take place then usually the light will light up, but it's not actually engaged.
    Read the owners manual for the right directions on how to engage and disengage 4x4, and 4x4 low.
    RD

DeeCandyBar
    maybe the dealer will take it back from you in the middle of the night

AirtimeLavey
    If the car was already driving when the switch got flicked then odds are the light just came on and it didn't actually engage 4X4 Low. Believe me you would've known if it was actually engaged in "low" and 4x4, as Low will have a top speed wound out at roughly 30 - 45 MPH if I had to guess (Never really wound my truck out to find out how fast it goes in low) and if it's in 4x4 atleast in my Navi it locks all the diferentials as well making turning on Pavement a bitch.. You'll hear tire screeching, and shuttering etc.. etc..
    I can't attest for all Fords, but I know for atleast my truck you have to put the truck in Park (or maybe neutral?) and then flip the switch, you'll hear some noises going on in the running gear, and then you'll feel it engage everything. Then it's all locked up, to get it out of 4x4 mode you have to again put it in Park (or neutral?) and flip the switch back the other way to normal, and you'll hear it all disenage. If the switch is flipped but that didn't take place then usually the light will light up, but it's not actually engaged.
    Read the owners manual for the right directions on how to engage and disengage 4x4, and 4x4 low.
    RD
    I've got a Chevy, but like RD said, you know without a doubt when you're in 4x4 low. I couldn't get to freeway speeds in 4 low. Hope it's minor for you.

probablecause
    I know what 4x4 feels like... a pig that can barely turn but my indicator lights don't work either for the 4x4 (just noticed this) and I could not find a fuse for it in the manual. :cry: :cry: :cry:

YODA
    Do you have locking hubs or is it completly auto engage? If you have locking hubs then the switch does nothing until youre locked up.

probablecause
    Do you have locking hubs or is it completly auto engage? If you have locking hubs then the switch does nothing until youre locked up.
    They are "Auto" but I can turn them to "lcok" to force them to lock up.

Tom Brown
    If you have locking hubs then the switch does nothing until youre locked up.
    He said the front drive shaft isn't spinning so it's pretty much down to the transfer case.

DMOORE
    He said the front drive shaft isn't spinning so it's pretty much down to the transfer case.
    Transfer case for sure. Could be as simple as a sensor. BTW ,no way did the truck drive on the freeway in 4 low without you knowing it . Hell I don't think you COULD go 60 in 4 low. My navigator HAS to be in neutral to get into 4 low.
    Darrell.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Both the older 4x4 Fords I had, said to not drive over 15 MPH!!!!! The diesels thay had MIGHT have pushed them to 18mph or so on the governor, top gear. Not a chance you made LO-range on the highway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast