Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glassing Stringers

apollo18
    HOW MANY LAYERS OF 2oz MAT DO I NEED ON FULL LENGTH STRINGERS?

FreeRide
    I was curious to the same thing. As my stringers need some work, I may leave it to the professionals though.

'75 Miller
    I'm not sure what the pros would tell you, but I wrapped my Miller's stringers with 2 layers of 6 oz "s" glass with Resin Research epoxy. My Dad used to shape surfboards & I got to raid all his old supplies. Came out great, strong as hell.
    Matt

Jet Hydro
    4+ layers of glass and Resin. Should be around 1/8 thick or more when your done. A lot of people try and use to much Resin between coats and rush it. Take your time and let it set overnight between layers.

YeLLowBoaT
    Has any 1 every tried that stiched glass with vail in the middle??? seems like it might be the way to go. It should be about a 1/8th thick when done. It has a layer of vail sandwitched between a layer of bi- axle cloth then every thing is sitched toegether. It might be alittle too thick to make sharp corners, but it would get you too that thickness in 1 layer. Sounds like it would be plenty strong once its down. Just wondering.

john
    Has any 1 every tried that stiched glass with vail in the middle??? seems like it might be the way to go. It should be about a 1/8th thick when done. It has a layer of vail sandwitched between a layer of bi- axle cloth then every thing is sitched toegether. It might be alittle too thick to make sharp corners, but it would get you too that thickness in 1 layer. Sounds like it would be plenty strong once its down. Just wondering.
    i used it on my stringer + two of the thin stuff and its hold pretty well. it was my first time and i notice when i put alot of resign on the stringer and the glass and put them together it was a pain to get to air bubbles out. but when i put resign on the stringer then layed the glass and brushed resign on top of the glass it wasn"t that hard to get the air bubbles and it layed real easy just my .02

DelawareDave
    Sand a generous radius on the top corners, as the glass doesn't like to go around sharp corners. You would be better off to use cloth and mat in layers. Mat is not the best by itself for structural work. One layer mat, then one layer cloth. Or use 1708 or similar as it has mat and biaxial cloth stitched together.

apollo18
    A good 1/8 inch is thick enough?

DelawareDave
    A good 1/8 inch is thick enough?
    Yes.

76elimspecial
    I Just Did Mine About 4 Mos Ago And They Came Out Pretty Good. I Talked To A Pro For Tips And Took My Time. I Used 4 Layers Of I Beleive 4 Oz. Alternated Mat Then Cloth (so 2 Layers Of Each). Make Sure To Get Laminating Resin And Not Finishing Resin Or You Have To Wait And Sand Between Layers. If You Cut All Your Glass Your Gonna Use First Then You Can Work At A Decent Pace And Lay Down All Layers At Once Without Waiting For Them To Dry. This Worked Really Good For Me. Easier If You Have At Least 1 Person 2 Help. Also If You Use A Wetting Board And Resin Then Roll The Cloth Or Mat Before Applying This Will Help With Air Bubbles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast