Thread: starter question

Acommanderguy
    Ok so my brother 76 hondo with a 455 olds in it keeps stalling out. Its a Whole other issue. Anyways As we were trying to start the boat agian. We kept hearing this clicking sound. But the starter wouldnt turn over.Brand new batteries. Anyways so we keep inspecting and the clicking sound isnt coming from the starter its coming from the black thing with 4 screws and 2 white wires and one red wire on it. its located up by the valve cover on the rear of the motor. Anybody know what that is and why its clicking and the starter isnt turning over?

El Prosecutor
    Ok so my brother 76 hondo with a 455 olds in it keeps stalling out. Its a Whole other issue. Anyways As we were trying to start the boat agian. We kept hearing this clicking sound. But the starter wouldnt turn over.Brand new batteries. Anyways so we keep inspecting and the clicking sound isnt coming from the starter its coming from the black thing with 4 screws and 2 white wires and one red wire on it. its located up by the valve cover on the rear of the motor. Anybody know what that is and why its clicking and the starter isnt turning over?
    I think I know what it is - does it look something like this:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...2junction2.JPG

Acommanderguy
    ya biit bu its a different shape! That thing is whats clicking

victorfb
    thats a starter relay. used so that you get a stronger voltage from the battery to the starter. check all the connections and wire condition, but im betting the relay is kaput. local auto parts store, ask for a ford starter relay.

Acommanderguy
    why a ford one? even though its a 455 olds? Hmm so When it just clicks and the starter doesnt do anything that means its no good? we check all the connections

victorfb
    because when you go into that local auto parts store and tell the pimply faced kid you have a 455 olds he will say "WHAT? what year is it? what kind of car is it in? we will have to order that." ford used them for many years. it was a common thing to do when rigging a boat with ANY (ford, chevy, olds, ect.) engine, to use a ford starter relay.

victorfb
    these are also commonly called "slave solenoids". basically what they are is a switch that can temporarilly connect a large high amp wire sourse by useing a smaller guage 12 volt wire. running a wire all the way from the battery up to the dash (ignition) and all the way back to the engine/starter will cause a dramatic decrease in voltage drop. hense the use of a starter relay or slave solenoid. your main power wire/cable for the starter will come straight from the battery instead of having to go all the way to the dash and back. the small wire is enough to activate the solenoid which in turn connects the power feed from the battery to starter. when you release the ignition switch it cuts off the solenoid and disconnects that temorary voltage.

Acommanderguy
    Hey victor and everyone else thanks for your input. I guess Ill be picking one of these bad boys up tomorrow. It was wierd he just stoped turning over then started making this clicking sound. anyways now after that I have to figre out why it wont stay running. I know its getting fuel. but other then that I think it m,ight have something to do with the points