Thread: little tight?

I pressed out the old ujoints and put in the closest thing i could find that matched which was the 1310 style joints. The caps on these are a big longer but when assembled cap to cap is the same length as the old ones so that should matter. I pressed in my new ones and things seam to be alittle tight. I only pressed one joint into one of the ends and havnt assembled the hole shaft yet because i think there might be somthing wrong. How hard should it bee to move the joint once i put these in, i have to push pretty hard. The old ones moved very freely but then again they had been worked for 10 years.
    Also i'm not sure how else you'd get these things in but i just wanted to make sure i'm doing this right, i had to pull the caps off the ujoint and put the joint into the shaft and then take the caps and press them in from the outside.
    http://reitanfamily.com/gallery/d/11328-1/joints.JPG

You are doing the assembly in the proper fashion. Just make sure none of the rollers fall into the caps while installing. It helps to put extra grease in the caps to hold the rollers in place.
    It is kind of normal during installation of u-joints for them to be tight. If you set the sides of the ears of the yokes on a vise or anvil and then give the ear a quick little rap with the hammer, all the tension will be relieved and they should now move freely.

victorfb
    if it doesnt free up after tapping it, go ahead and remove it and check to see if a needle bearing fell into the cup. its very common. one trick is to grease them up real good and stick it in the freezer for a while. this will help hold the needle bearings in place better while you install the caps and press them on.

rerfert
    Also remove the grease fitting to relieve the pressure??

Also remove the grease fitting to relieve the pressure??
    They don't get tight from internal grease pressure. That would just push out past the seals, anyway. It's a matter of the caps going in just a little past the snap ring grooves combined with a slight deflection of the ears inward that cause the tightness.