Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stolen boats and trailer locks

Cas
    Over the years we've read about quite a few boats stolen from people here on the boards and a whole lot more we don't hear about. I'm sure a lot of us use the typical tongue locks but I'm guessing very few use a wheel lock of sorts. Along with the tongue lock, I used to chain my boat to my garage door years ago. I just put an eye bolt on the door through one of the 2x4 supports....pretty easy. I've also set u-bolts in concrete for a couple of people so they could also chain the trailer up.
    There's some pretty simple solutions that can help deter someone from ripping off your boat and trailer. If it's a tandem axle, chaining the wheels together is one way or just sticking a piece of rebar through the wheels from one side to the other would work. With those options, there has to be slots or holes in the wheels.

DILLIGAF
    Over the years we've read about quite a few boats stolen from people here on the boards and a whole lot more we don't hear about. I'm sure a lot of us use the typical tongue locks but I'm guessing very few use a wheel lock of sorts. Along with the tongue lock, I used to chain my boat to my garage door years ago. I just put an eye bolt on the door through one of the 2x4 supports....pretty easy. I've also set u-bolts in concrete for a couple of people so they could also chain the trailer up.
    There's some pretty simple solutions that can help deter someone from ripping off your boat and trailer. If it's a tandem axle, chaining the wheels together is one way or just sticking a piece of rebar through the wheels from one side to the other would work. With those options, there has to be slots or holes in the wheels.
    When I bought the new house I would have had one of those cement blocks put in the floor but did not think about it plus it was too late. I have thought about getting it done but don't want to tear up the nice poly floor

superdave013
    I think the only way is out of sight out of mind. I keep mine locked and inside a locked garage.
    If ya just chain it up outside, a quick snip with a bolt cutter and away it goes. Heck, battery powered grinders and porta band saw are out now too. Those ports band saws don't make much noise either. Not much chance to keep anything safe if they really want it. But if they can't see it then they might not even know it's there.

Legal Chemistry
    Try a "U-Lock" through the rim... just don't forget to remove it when you go to tow. Did the same thing for my motorcycle.

MudPumper
    If they want your shit bad enough, they will take it. All you can do is make it as difficult as possible for them to take.

last time i was at the river some guys rolled up and forgot the key to there toy hauler, they had a portable grinder, must have tooken them 30 seconds to cut through the master lock they had on the back.
    At least i think it was there trailer :wink:

Goober
    It only takes me 10sec with a cutting wheel on an air dygrinder or 2 seconds with my bolt cutters. I work in the feilds and have to cut chain and crap a lot. Plus some how i always lose my damn keys to my locks but never to my car.

Cas
    like I mentioned, they are just things to help deter someone from ripping off your sh*t and moving on. I know if someone tries to steal my boat right now, they will be towing a couple of gates with them also. With my first boat, they would have been towing the garage door, or at least pieces of it, around the neighborhood too. It wouldn't stop them but it sure would make people look at what the hell is going on. It also just might make someone remember what kind of tow vehicle it was.
    As far as being inside, there's been quite a few that have been stolen right out of storage units, garages and backyards. If they want it, they're gonna try like hell to get it.
    Maybe I'll just get a whacker, nobody really wants those......

ultra tweaker
    these are all good ideas but as my dad use to say,(retired LAPD lieutenant) locks only keep the honest people honest!

Cas
    these are all good ideas but as my dad use to say,(retired LAPD lieutenant) locks only keep the honest people honest!
    very true but the dishonest will be dragging my gate behind them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast