Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: anyone have a true 100mph v-drive

Sangerboy
    DJ- I did all kinds of things but just one at a time and even then it seemed like 3 steps forward 2 steps back with the changes I would make. The main things were 1)moving the engine forward 2) Moving the v-drive forward and replacing the 10 degree strut with a 61/2 degree strut 3) Moving the prop back and increasing prop diameter to 11 1/4". All of these things will decrease bow lift(or increase tail lift whichever you prefer) the trick is to find the right combination. My boat doesn't have much rocker especially compared to a Cole or Hondo drag hull so initially I thought it needed more bow lift but I was wrong. Once I actually started going in the right direction it settled down pretty quick.

Kurtis500
    Try moving the motor forward first. I had the same problem with my Hondo. By far, the biggest factor was where that heavy engine was balanced in the boat. It needs to come forward, how much I cant tell you, you will just have to experiment since it depends on the weight of your set-up. After you get close to perfect, the nickels in the collar is next. You could also have a bad hook in the bottom too. Even with an 8 degree strut you will find the balance point, it just wont get a few mph like a lower angle strut. Dont start cutting your rudder and skag unless you want to race only, I havent done it, but heard its not too good in rough water.

Bottom's up
    I have a biesemeyer 427 bored and stroked to 481, 8-71 blower about 8 lbs boost, 40 percent gears, 11 1/2X15 menkens prop run 7200 rpm on a bad day and 7600 rpm on a good day, Not sure how fast, but haven't had anyone keep up with me on Truman Lake in Missouri.

flattie
    well heres my 80 mph v-drive on a good day. http://fs9.dotphoto.com/MemberImages...F39393ABB2.jpg

foolish pleasure
    Originally posted by flattie:
    My question is just that. If you do I'm itrested in how much hp, rpm gears and prop&pitch, pump gas supercharged nit. ect.
    are you nuts enuff to drive it that fast?rusty young ran 171+mph at logansport la. in 1995,in a capsule jet boat,still a record in dbr.

Infomaniac
    I bet he was on his way to his favorite boating spot at the lake?
    Man! that must be the fastest boat in the world. No v-drive could beat that.
    [/QUOTE]rusty young ran 171+mph at logansport la. in 1995,in a capsule jet boat,still a record in dbr.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

pgf127rt
    Infomaniac, I was at that race in Logansport, when Rusty ran the number, and as Paul Harvey say's, now for the rest of the story;,the boat crashed thru the lights and disintegrated, leaving debris that took an hour or so to cleanup, and flattie the answer to your question, would you drive it that fast, the answer is yes and always looking for another mph, that is why at the tender age of 58 I retired from PGF racing, as my ride ran consistently under 8 seconds at 140+ mph, and I came to the realization that old bones don't heal like young bones do.
    FYI, look in reader rides at # 127 flatbottom

HAVASANGER
    In my younger days I used to run a Beezer flat with a 8-71 blown 500" Chrysler, that would run about 120, but that's way too much excitement- almost died a couple times. Now I'm running a Sanger hydro with an unblown 468" Chevy. Still run close to 100 mph, but a nice solid ride. Us old (not too old) guys still like to go fast, but I'm not interested in killing myself any more.

BadBoyzSkiRacer
    bbc 60thou over. oval port heads sheet intake 1050 holley comp cams roller 12.79 comp C & A nascar rods hank the wank crank hahaha . 23 % cassale od spinning a 2 blade menkins prop 11.375 X 16.125 @ 7100 rpm towing 2 fat arse skiers & 70 gallons of race fuel to 104 mph.
    this is a true aussie water ski race boat,

hulshot
    heres mine, a 1991 Syndicate 7/8 Runner 472 Blown injected Alcohol bbc ran 132 in 700 ft. Made one test run a few days later and made about 1000 ft pass with the plate burried at 7900 rpm with a 11.0 x 17.5 stelings with 60's in the box. Boat # 757 and ran it at campfar west as well as the track. Dont beleive the #'s or the combo ask around at camp far about this boat. Named HULLSHOT #757 white and multiple fades, unfortunatly the boat is no longer around due to a crash that destroyed the boat. The motor went into my friends sanger hydro with a two speed with 60's in the box and made a real good pass in high gear spinning 8200 and a 11.5 x 17 clever. This boat is still around and runs very hard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234