Thread: 460 Ford Water Temp???

1972hallett
    I have a 460 ford with a jacuzzi jet. The water temp shows 190 while at speed. While at idle it goes way up to 230 -280. This is my first jet boat. My previous direct drive inboard ski boats all had pully driven water pumps. This same senario would indicate a worn impellar in the water pump. Where should I go look or is this normal. I see there are cam driven water pumps in CP Performance catolgue. Should I add one of this to help keep it cool at idle??? Please advise...
    Thanks
    Bill

I have a 460 ford with a jacuzzi jet. The water temp shows 190 while at speed. While at idle it goes way up to 230 -280. This is my first jet boat. My previous direct drive inboard ski boats all had pully driven water pumps. This same senario would indicate a worn impellar in the water pump. Where should I go look or is this normal. I see there are cam driven water pumps in CP Performance catolgue. Should I add one of this to help keep it cool at idle??? Please advise...
    Thanks
    Bill
    i personally dont run a water pump...my water lines come from the jet to my motor thru the water pump outlets...it is controlled by a spigot on the jet...i have water temp gages in my heads which tell me the temp (150-160*)...every1 plumbs there water different...some use a cross-over instead of the pump...some use an electric pump...i would try the cross-over & a gage to read the temp...just my .02 cents
    fastrat

SmokinLowriderSS
    no need for a pump on a jet boat, pressure feed positive from the jet drive. Either there is clogging in the block someplace, or the inlet to the engine from the pump itself is closed too much (my bet).

rerfert
    Being as this is a new to you boat have you flushed out the water passages in the block....sounds like you might have some dirt/sediment blocking water passages.

centerhill condor
    that is too high at idle...you likely have a manual valve "back there" off of the pump... I'd try opening it about 1/4 turn more and that should get your idle temp down to a less scary level... this topic is very well covered in this forum in every possible way.

centerhill condor
    I meant in the "just jets" forum. :boxed: