Thread: RPM too high

Cole Sanger
    I was out on the boat on Friday and saw that my tach was reading too high. It sounded normal, and I was going the same top speed as usual. Looked like it was about 700rpm too high. I stopped the boat and turned off the motor. Started again and it still read the same. Went to the beach in the back of Saguaro and ate lunch. Idled back out and then everything looked normal. I don't like when I see a problem and then it goes away for no reason. Is there something I should look at? The engine is a 454 TPI Mercruiser w/Bravo 3.

I was out on the boat on Friday and saw that my tach was reading too high. It sounded normal, and I was going the same top speed as usual. Looked like it was about 700rpm too high. I stopped the boat and turned off the motor. Started again and it still read the same. Went to the beach in the back of Saguaro and ate lunch. Idled back out and then everything looked normal. I don't like when I see a problem and then it goes away for no reason. Is there something I should look at? The engine is a 454 TPI Mercruiser w/Bravo 3.
    Cole...
    could possibly be a bad tach or faulty wireing!...ck ur connections...try another tach & see what happens...just my .02 cents
    fastrat

Jim W
    Yes
    No
    Maybe
    I dont know, but I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night!! :rollside:
    Go over all the connections and grounds. Then, replace the tach. You are talking about an electric tach, right??
    Or just bragg to your friends about how high it rev's!!
    Be good, Jim

Cole Sanger
    It is an electric tach. I will check the connections this week. If that doesn't work I will stay at a holiday inn express and brag to my friends about it.

I DIG IT !
    Very Rarely I have had this problem, and if you flick the tack it will go back to normal. I dont know why it happens or works but give it a try. Im sure that it is something as simple as a bad or short gruond.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yep, check the elec connections, but it looks like the tach is going sour.

Jim W
    It is an electric tach. I will check the connections this week. If that doesn't work I will stay at a holiday inn express and brag to my friends about it.
    Yeah, that's what I do!
    I love bragging to my friends about my Holiday Inn Express adventures and they love it since....... I have decided to quit dating and went "pro".
    Way cheaper, no headaches and lot's of choices.
    Be good, Jim

Norseman
    Sounds like a tach or wiring issue, check the grounds!!
    a 700 RPM difference is one that you should be able to hear, unless you've got a 3000 watt stereo cranking.

Cole Sanger
    That's what I was thinking. I didn't hear anything abnormal.