Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: how much HP can u put To a Alpha one

Moparpower
    I have a 89 205 elite how much hp can i put to the out drive I have a sbc

DMOORE
    I would say about 300 or so. And about the same for torque. Mercruiser did offer a 454/ALPHA drive combo for a couple of years. They found out they were NOT lasting, and discontinued that set up. If ya start going over that mark, you would have to be REAL careful not to break something.
    Darrell.

centless
    I have the same combo 88 elite w/sbc. I bolted on a small nitirous set up several years ago and removed it after a couple outings. Note never nailed it off the line but last year I spun the teeth off the top of the OD. Some friends say the increased HP caused the problem???
    Be careful

Moparpower
    hey thankx does anyone know how hard or if even possible to do a bravo one switch would that work with a good runin small block

Havasu47
    It will bolt up to the same holes. You only have to drill two more holes. It will work fine with a small block.

Moparpower
    thanks what are the two other holes for bolts

Brian
    I ran a pretty stout 400+ hp 406 small block in front of an Alpha in a 23 Cheetah tunnel. Fun boat. Alpha didn't like shifting at 900 rpm but it seemed to put up with the power ok. I think it had some sort of heavy duty gear set in the upper but I'm not real sure on that. It was an old drive from 86 that I pulled out of a previous boat. Eventually I did switch to a Bravo and a nasty big block (588). Now that was a real fun boat! The extra two holes are at the top of the transom plate on the Bravo. Cutout is the same but the Alpha is missing the extra bolts at the very top, or maybe they were a little lower down inside the cutout. Either way it's an easy swap. You will need to add an engine mounted sea water pump. Also need a different bellhousing if you want to run the large Bravo coupler, or you can stick with the smaller Alpha coupler too.

Havasu47
    The extra two holes are at the top of the transom plate on the Bravo. Cutout is the same but the Alpha is missing the extra bolts at the very top. It's an easy swap. You will need to add an engine mounted sea water pump. Also need a different bellhousing if you want to run the large Bravo coupler, or you can stick with the smaller Alpha coupler too.

Correct info Brian. We would do it with the Bravo coupler and better bellhousing. The Bravo puts more load on the coupler.

MAXIMUS
    Correct info Brian. We would do it with the Bravo coupler and better bellhousing. The Bravo puts more load on the coupler.
    Ohhh... really???

Moparpower
    Hey thanks guys for the info Im hopin to put switch the out drives and put in to stroker kit to my 350 to have a litter more fun on the water

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast