Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how much HP can u put To a Alpha one

jimslade
    The Bravo uses up more HP than the Alpha to run.350 lbs of torque is max on an Alpha. Regular maintainance is the key to longevity.

Paul128a,
    How hard was it to do the conversion from the 280 to the Alpha? Is that the best way to go? Please see my post on 280 Volvo Conversion...... In this section.......
    Mercruiser did offer a 370hp Alpha one, but using a Small-Block, 377 cubic inches. I think they called it the Scorpion.
    Mercruiser says that the Alpha will handle high horsepower SMALL BLOCKS, as they dont have as much low-rpm torque.
    The more horsepower you try to make out of a Small-block, the higher the RPM the torque comes out, so the less the out-drive is prone to failure. As Mercruiser says, it is the torque the destroys the outdrives, not the HP.
    I have snapped two Volvo 280 mainshafts, and all during hard acceleration from standing start, using my 350 small block, bored .030 over, using TRW flat top pistons, 2.02 in 1.60 ex valves, roller rocker arms, Crower 00904 Torque-Beast cam, Headers, Performer intake, Holley 650.
    Right now I have been running an Alpha One with the same engine and so far so good.

OCMerrill
    OCMerrill,
    what prop are you using to get that 70+?
    21 Pitch. But I am spinning the motor up and over 5500 rpm. I am looking to try a 23 but with my engine mods I moved the peak HP up the rev meter. All I did was the Eldebrock Combo (Heads, cam, intake, carb). Still running the stock exhaust manifolds.
    I havent pumped the 6 qt pan out of oil, all works well there. Shounds sweet.
    I have about 25 hours on the combo now. It was a 245hp mag (1991) and Edlebrock claims I would make 400 hp So I say 350 but there could be more.
    Msd Ign also. Runs strong. Idles semi smooth with only a small lope.

CodyGrizz
    Man, my putter boat (1989 Bayliner Capri 140hp) I was told I have a Alpha 1 outdrive (says Cobra on it..OMC engine) and was told on another forum I couldnt use it with a 5.0 or 5.7 as I would LOVE to put a bigger engine on it. I even mentioned that my boat had a 5.0 option and from what I seen in pics, had the same outdrive. Any input on this?

Desert Rat
    I would be pretty sure if it says OMC and Cobra it's NOT a Alpha. :hammer2: Alpha is a Mercruiser. Easy test What color is your drive... If it is stock the Alpha will be black . Go here for more info on outdrivessterndrive (http://www.sterndrive.com/)

Havasu47
    I would be pretty sure if it says OMC and Cobra it's NOT a Alpha. :hammer2: Alpha is a Mercruiser. Easy test What color is your drive... If it is stock the Alpha will be black . Go here for more info on outdrivessterndrive (http://www.sterndrive.com/)
    Mercruiser did actually supply a few manufacturers with off white Alpha Drives and transom assemblies, like Sea Ray.

MAXIMUS
    Shouldn't really be like.... Havasu49 by now??? 50???

dumbandyoung
    I would use the drive conservatively until it breaks. I've heard of over 600HP through that drive IF YOU'RE CAREFULL!!!! Just my $.02 worth. means about as much too.
    Coryj
    yah but that can ruin a weekend. better to pay upfront i say

dumbandyoung
    Did ya try Teague Marine 661-295-7000. They have a package that will handle all kinds of hp and torque. They have awesome shafts Vertical and prop. and all kinds of new innerds that should give ya what you're looking for!
    I guess you could call it a rebuild kit for more performance!
    Good luck with project!!!
    ...wait so do you just rip everything out of the casting and beef it up?.. whats that run?

pocketchange 22
    Just out of curiosity, out of all the marine high performance shops out there; howcome only does Teague Marine have the secret to building "Alphas" that will stay together? I have called many shops and the same answer. U go over like 377hp 350 torque and your days are pretty well numbered. Answering another question, yes Sea Ray did infact make the 377 scorpion some of the Pachanga's had them. Remember (I am not saying this to trash anybody, or call them a lier or anything of the sort!!! What people say and real world are 2 diffrent things) how come people break them with small mouse motors. Yet they stay together with 600HP, it doesn't make sense. If I am missing anything,PLEASE let me know!! If u go big, either go Bravo or go home.:devil: :devil:
    Like I said before, if I am missing something please let me know
    :devil: Hot Rod:devil:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast