Thread: Removing Bravo I Drive (special tools?)

JoeB
    Anything special needed for removing a Bravo I drive (bellow hinge pin too)? I've got a good hoist, and lots of other tools. Just no mercruiser stuff. I'm pulling the motor, and I've read where its easier with the drive off. That's why I'm removing it. I hate to get in the middle of a project, and not have the right tool.
    Thanks,
    Joe

Daytona100
    Just remove the trim rams, any steering rams, six nuts slide back disconnect speedo tube ( quarter turn twist) and shift cable (spread jaws) and slide off.

JoeB
    My confindence is building,..... Should I attach a cherry picker, I'm guessing this probably 100-150lb assembly. Is it okay to lay it down on its side in the floor?
    Thanks Daytona 100.

Daytona100
    Easier with two people but can be removed with one. You can lay it down wont hurt it.

LHC30Victory
    They are a little heavy when full of oil, and a little ackward to handle so a picker or lift would be nice, but not necessary. Just DONT drop it :skull:

JoeB
    Used a picker,....you guys were right it came right off. Thanks for the all the advice.

Brian
    On my boat the drive is under the swim deck, so you really can't get in there with a crane of any type. I bought one of those rolling outdrive stands and then use long boards to make a ramp at the right height to just roll the drive up and install onto the studs. Wasn't too expensive and makes it much easier to do with just one person. Also gives a nice easy place to store the drive.

JoeB
    Hmmmm,...sounds like a good idea. If those stands aren't too expensive, it might be worth the investment. Plus, it would get it out of the floor. Where did you purchase yours.