Thread: Lake Austin or Travis?

No Regrets
    Who boats there and how is it. I hear alot of good things about Steiner ranch as a community and the lakes being close by. Weather? Humidity? boating? crowds? year round?
    Sell me on it.
    Pix?

Old Texan
    I have some very good friends that have lived at Steiner Ranch for about 14 years. Great schools, property values are doing well, good choices in home sizes, close proximity to a couple golf courses, clean.
    Travis and Austin are extremely different. Austin is long and more like a river. Lots of skiers and lake lice, except on holidays they prohibit PWC's. Nice lake to cocktail cruise and visit the bars / eateries by the lower end dam. Getting in and out at the ramps is pretty easy. Old money community along the shore for the most part and pretty mellow.
    Travis on the other hand has a lot of everything. Crazy times at Devil's Cove where the party never ends on wekends and holidays, and I do mean party. Access to the power drinkin', decadent atmosphere at Carlos' and Charlie's is quite an experience. No telling what you'll see and / or encounter. Plenty of other great bars and eateries with good msic. Up lake things are mellower than on south end with plenty of coves and lots of space. Plenty of boats of all sizes with the big dogs running here rather than little quiet Austin.
    Austin water levels are pretty controlled and stable. Travis on the other hand can fluctuate from overflowing flood control water holding to drought condition lows that reveal lots of obstructions and shut down lots of ramps. Ramp access at low drought levels especially on the south end causes unbelievable lines and delays. We had 150-200 car wait on Memorial Day.
    Winter thins the crowds and temps are more beearable. Summer is hot and dry. I'm on the Gulf Coast so for me, there is no humidity in the Hill Country. No mosquitos and generally no insect problems from my experience.
    Up country you've got Inks, LBJ, Marble Falls , and the big lake in the chain Buchanon. To the south by highway down past San Marcos and north of New Braunfels is Canyon Lake. Real nice clear, blue lake which I consider a little on the small side but less crowded on regular weekends and a great alternative to the Austin lakes. Can't go wrong on Canyon.
    Austin has high treelined surroundings. Travis mainly beautiful white limestone outcroppings and high bluffs. Canyon some of each but most tre lined mesquite and oaks. All have plenty of high end communities and some smaller summer bungalows.
    Hard place not to like and you can pick the intensity of the rat race or subdued semi seclusion depending on where on the lake you choose to hangout.